Author Topic: Tesla  (Read 764 times)

Offline csmiller18

Tesla
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:05 AM »
So, Ive been reading about Tesla Motors since January (mostly for investing). Now they are getting a little more news, especially about trying to cut out the dealerships and selling directly to customers. (Kinda the same topic I saw on here about the BRZ and FRS)

My question is directly somewhat at the dealership guys or really anyone who has an opinion on it - What is the negative about cutting out dealerships besides the obvious loss of jobs? Couldnt it reduce some cost? Are dealerships really needed anymore, now that dealerships dont really do much "final assembly" like years prior? I dont accept the reason about warranty issues, because whats the difference between my car warranty that I need a dealership, or my another warranty I am required to directly to the manufacturer.

Related articles:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/11/news/companies/tesla-new-jersey/index.html?iid=Lead
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/11/new-jersey-bans-tesla-direct-sales-model/
http://www.siliconbeat.com/2014/03/11/new-jersey-car-dealers-tesla-never-should-have-been-allowed-to-operate-in-the-garden-state/
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline Arani Rey

Re: Tesla
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
For now I think most dealers are a necessary evil. For instance, I like using the factory oil and filter so I drive only a few miles out of my way to stop at the Olsen service dept. Plus while I'm there I can see Reverend and when new cars are released I get to look them over. For a company like Subaru the dealer adds a very small amount of markup and usually you end up close to the same with any free benefits you might receive. (For instance Beardmore's free tire nitrogen and windshield warranty) My biggest complaint with Subaru doing away with dealers: Where do you go to buy one, Where do you go for service? I just looked at Tesla's map and the nearest service center looks like its in Denver (I'll talk about ranger service later on). I would be pretty upset if I had to call to order parts every time I needed them or drive all over just to get warranty service.

That said, I pretty much hate most dealers. If I saved somehow 2-3,000 dollars on my car original, I would probably be okay with having to deal with a far away service center. Tesla seems to have solved this issue with their ranger service where for $100 they will come to your house and perform the service. That is a pretty tempting offer even if you have a dealer in your city! Plus you can have a 4 year 50k warranty from Tesla for $2,400 where they come to your house every single time you need service. In my mind that pretty much defeats any need for a dealer from Tesla.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:10 PM »
In many states, dealers are a state law. It probably goes back to the early days of automobiles where there were some problems with shady people selling cars and dealers were a trusted intermediary. Similar to unions, they were originally benefiting society, but have since become a drain.

As far as car dealers go, I think we should let the free market decide. Allow manufacturers to sell however they like and let the buyer vote with his/her $ which works best. If dealers really are best, then they surely don't need protectionist laws.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
I think I agree with they're a necessary evil right now. Most people don't even care what car they get yet. They don't background check, etc and are just sold a car that is the color they can live with. I think as places like autotrader gain momentum we'll see a shift but for right now we stuck with it.

Also I do use dealerships for the service departments too. Somethings you just can't get what you need with a place like autozone and they can't be expected to. They can't have a database that pulls up the back quarter pannel inside finder clip on every car made. Eventually maybe but that's pretty far fetched.
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.