Author Topic: strange  (Read 1594 times)

Offline zombiez07

strange
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »
still working with Cam for my tune.  we're on hex 6.  i've got an 04 wrx.  had my turbo swapped, dp and up done by RG among other mods.  Cam noticed car was running rich right off the bat, but it seemed to be boosting decently.  said there could be a leak post turbo.  found the tube going to the wastegate was bubbling.  sealed that up, can't find any other leaks so far.  back to tuning.  Cam said i could start to dial in the grimmspeed mbc (it had been set all the way open until now) and i should start seeing more boost.  i have a hybrid setup with prodrive ebcs.  so far, i've twisted the mbc nearly all the way to 4.5 and my boost gauge still won't crack 10 psi.  romraider logs show target boost is reaching 17 psi, but my gauge is only reading 10 and the car FEELS like 10.  any ideas?  seems like since i clamped that wastegate hose, the boost has been stuck. 

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
Re: strange
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
Have you performed a proper boost leak test?

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
at a shop, no.  i've done the soapy water trick and found the wg leak.  i would think RG would have tested for leaks after the turbo swap?  if it was a leak i would also think boost would flux a bit more?  it's constant in it's curve, just won't break 10 psi.  im suspecting my ebcs is bad.  going to use a 9v to see if it clicks like it should.  if ebcs is ok, i may have to do a boost test, just don't know where to pull another 100+ from to get it done... :-\

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
Soapy water won't show you a boost leak without boost pressure.  If you have an MBC, hook it up separately and test.

Boost leaks don't really fluctuate, they leak outward with boost and potentially inward with vacuum.

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
Tested ebcs with 9 volt.  It did click.  Put back in car and now throwing a cel.  Wtf! Will ck with romraider to see error.  Strange thing is it was boosting fine until I fixed the wg leak.  Then it stuck at 10 psi. 

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »
ok, im throwing a p0245 cel.  wastegate solenoid A low.  any ideas?
i know if you remove the stock bcs it will throw this code, and the "fix" ive read is to just reinstall it and plug the ports.  but i have a hybrid setup and need that plug for the ebcs.  new map increased the wastegate duty cycle a LOT, but still not cracking 10 psi.  Cam said there has to be some other mechanical issue going on.. help, i need to joelodee his tactrix back and my car running correctly.

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
eff.  so i removed the 3 port and went mbc only.. boost is back.  id guess my ebcs is toast? 

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
It's possible.  When I couldn't boost past 15psi and ruled out boost leaks, I  bypassed the ebcs and hooked up an MBC and started cranking it up.  Lo and behold, got it up to 18psi without issue.  Which ebcs are you using and was it new when it was installed?

Offline Double0-12

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
I know our situations are different, but I've been throwing the same codes lately. The waste gate solenoid a comes up a lot. I also had a cam position sensor error the other day. My electrical gremlin has now turned of my dash lights.  I have plans in the near future to put miss on and have it tuned in Sioux Falls.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:34:15 AM »
Are you positive you had it hooked up correctly?

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »
i removed the (used gm) 3 port with the intent of smashing it to pieces and going on my merry way with the mbc... upon removal i noticed that two sections of the shrink wrapped dongle wires were much thinner than the rest of the wire.  i removed the shrink wrap and, wtf, BOTH wires were split.  so, i resoldered them, put the hybrid back in, and readjusted the mbc to line 3.5.  loaded a new hex file and bam, cel went away, first gear hit 10.5 psi, second and third hitting 16.5.  how those wires got screwed, i have NO idea.  anyways, i see a few 3rd gear pulls in my future today, and some more tweaking from Cam (who btw is freaking awesome at what he does).   joelodee, i swear i will get you your tactrix back and i owe you big time for the loan.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
I knew it would take longer than you thought.  ;D

No worries.  I keep a spare one around anyway.  Glad you figured out the issue.