Author Topic: Is the salvage price normally so high for a 10 year old car?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline 7point62fmj

So I work around Blair and my car got hit real bad with the hail that we had up here. So bad that the engine compartment had hail in in when it destroyed the scoop and came right in. The adjuster came out and stopped halfway through the inspection and said that there was no reason to keep doing the inspection since I already exceed the price of the car before he got to the back section. (it was at 11,680 by then) Well I plan to retain the car since it still drives fine. Well they came back with a price for the check to give me but told me that my salvage price on the car was 2000 dollars. I asked my mom (who used to work for state farm) if she ever saw a salvage price so high for a car and she said no. I talked with my agent and he said that if I could find another salvage yard that would offer something less he would see what he could do. I was thinking the salvage price would be a few hundred dollars or so not 1/4 of the price for the payout check. :sadbanana
The beauty of  all wheel drive! NOW !milk powered
Screw Boost!!
Got Milk???
04 wrx cobb II (my wifes battering ram-2 deer and one ladder) 
82 lifted brat
87 lifted gl

Offline Arani Rey

Re: Is the salvage price normally so high for a 10 year old car?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:12:58 AM »
So I work around Blair and my car got hit real bad with the hail that we had up here. So bad that the engine compartment had hail in in when it destroyed the scoop and came right in. The adjuster came out and stopped halfway through the inspection and said that there was no reason to keep doing the inspection since I already exceed the price of the car before he got to the back section. (it was at 11,680 by then) Well I plan to retain the car since it still drives fine. Well they came back with a price for the check to give me but told me that my salvage price on the car was 2000 dollars. I asked my mom (who used to work for state farm) if she ever saw a salvage price so high for a car and she said no. I talked with my agent and he said that if I could find another salvage yard that would offer something less he would see what he could do. I was thinking the salvage price would be a few hundred dollars or so not 1/4 of the price for the payout check. :sadbanana

Call U-Pull it and let them know how much hail damage it has before they quote you.

Offline LBP WRX

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
I have a friend whos moms car got hit in blair (2012 kia) and they totaled it out at 21,000, his buyback is 10,000.... so i wouldn't be shocked at that price.
16 LBP WRX Base
F.B.O except headers.

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:32:18 PM »
salvage yards shoot out a price, but then when they see the car, they may only give you a fraction of it.

When I had them come pick up my Stealth TT, they said they would give me like $500... then they saw the body damage (even though I told them over the phone) and they said they would only give me $250. I let them take it because I had already salvaged the electronic boxes and whatnot from the car. They never asked and I never brought it up.

My point - they may offer one thing until they actually take a look and then they don't always hand over that much for it.
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline 7point62fmj

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
well it sounds like they take the highest price they can auction it for on the web and that is what they will charge you for the buy back. It looks like I am going to take the 2000 dollar hit.
I cant see this website from work but I think it is the one they use.
https://www.iaai.com/
The beauty of  all wheel drive! NOW !milk powered
Screw Boost!!
Got Milk???
04 wrx cobb II (my wifes battering ram-2 deer and one ladder) 
82 lifted brat
87 lifted gl

Offline Rockcas

• BWInsurance
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
Adjusters will try to determine what the car is worth at auction. 

All cars that get salvaged go through insurance yo get auctioned off.  when a car is damaged by hail the internal parts of the car are still good and that is what the adjuster based the price on.  Hail damaged cars always have a higher buy back value than wrecked cars since the internal parts remain undamaged.  You may be able to negotiate a reduced amount with the adjuster.
- Dave              Bank of the West Insurance Agent

Offline joosty_chin

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »
My 02 was $2300 to buy back and I was offered $5400 to settle minus $500 deductible. They'll rob ya.
"It could be worse."