Author Topic: timing belt/cam sprocket question  (Read 762 times)

Offline csmiller18

timing belt/cam sprocket question
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
I was looking at a legacy outback (1998) and it had a chunk missing from the cam sprocket and the timing belt appeared to be "walking" forward towards the front of the vehicle. Could anyone link any articles as to these types of issues or provide any insight as to what would cause the belt to walk forward? Could the belt be on backwards, is it even directional?
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline Arani Rey

Re: timing belt/cam sprocket question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
Was the car/engine in a wreck to explain the chipped sprocket? Most likely the belt is walking off because part of the sprocket's lip that centers the belt is missing and each rotation it gets a little further away. The belts have markings on them to help you align the timing when they are being installed which on those with rotation arrows makes the belt 'directional' but putting it on backwards would not cause the belt to want to slide off. Also if the person who last changed the belt mixed up which idler pulleys go where it could cause issues.

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:54 AM »
so replacing the belt and the cam sprocket should fix this issue? the guy said the car was rear-ended, and I know its manual. I thought the timing issues he was having was the belt jumping a tooth when it was hit and still in gear, but IDK. He is selling it pretty cheap and I thought I could "rescue" it and either flip it or have a beater. he said it had a CEL but it didnt when I went to test drive it.

When I did the TB on my car, i inspected the cam sprockets and didn't see any damage, nor any belt movement (forward/back) so I didnt know what was going on when I looked at this leggy outback.

he said something about his brother doing the TB change and not really knowing how to do it, my guess is he busted the sprocket when he tried to do it. probably like this guy http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/timing-belt-replacement-2-5t-106809.html?p=4230179
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:32:52 AM by csmiller18 »
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
If you're willing to replace the belt/idlers/tensioner and the broken cam sprocket then you should be good to go. Get new ac/alternator belts too and get the cam sprocket tool.