Author Topic: Careers  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Lesac

• Elite Member
  • I want all the cars!
Careers
« on: April 29, 2014, 02:28:49 AM »
Long story short, I'm 26 I have a very good paying job with great benefits that I absolutely hate. I mean I'm flat out depressed every time i go to work. I work 4 nights a week 1 12, 2 10s and an 8 hour shift, 90% of the time by myself. I have issues with most of my other coworkers, not that we don't get along, but that everyone is always pissed off at the company or everyone else since we are very short handed and don't have enough staff.
Im curious a to what you guys do for a living, I'm in need of some ideas because Im really not happy with my situation. I love cars, and electronics and I currently work in large scale building maintenance so I have that experience but I am looking to see what else is out there.
Id love to work with cars, but I just don't see it paying near what I need it to be.

Offline Kingbuttmonkey

• Novice
Re: Careers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
I'm the Warranty Administrator for Mazda, VW and Audi portion of Stan Olsen. I wear many other hats in my daily duties including IT support for the dealership, which is what my degree is in. The pay is not great, but I love working here.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
I share many similarities in my own current state of affairs.  Not quite as bad of an environment as it sounds, but my work experience often leaves me wanting for more.  I work in technology support, mostly computers and networking but also some integrated systems and sound and audio visual equipment.  While I'm not being paid nearly where the industry standard is set, the benefits are quite good and make it even out in that regard.

I do the same work freelance and have for a number of years now.  If I were to expand that business I'm sure the money could support me, but it's the (lack of) benefits that keep me from diving in to that direction fully.

Full time car work would be awesome but at a level I could see it losing the appeal that it now has for me as a hobby, were I do make it a career.  After having recently done some welding classes, that seems like something I could very happily do for a long time.  Again I'm not sure I'd want to make the jump quite yet.  I will be taking more welding classes and likely some machine tool as well.  If I get my skills up to where I could pass certification, I'd have some thinking to do.  Worst case with that all is that I strongly enrich my hobbies and personal enjoyment in making things.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
I work for Electrical Contractors... I don't need to explain what we do there do I??? I am technically an apprentice to my boss who is an owner and the lead project manager/estimator. Because there are only 5 people that work in our office we all have to wear a lot of hats, but that is fun to me. I personally do some project management, a bunch of estimating, drafting, parts delivery, receptionist... whatever we need. I'm the only person who has AutoCAD so I do all the engineered drawings that we produce.

For someone who is still going to school, I think I get paid pretty decently. I also live at home though since paying rent and doing everything else would be a huge stress on top of going to school and working. I used to work on cars as a tech, but I am not ASE certified and I think that would be a whole bunch of extra stuff to do since I'm already busy pursuing a carrer in architecture. If I lost my job or something though I'd certainly be looking for an automotive job to fall back on.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
I'm a department supervisor at a medical software company. The company has two sides to it, development and support, I'm on the support side. Benefits are insanely awesome, but the pay isn't where I want to be. I'm interested in starting freelance work too, but more on the side of website ux and design. I'm probably best off putting together my own website first, but I've been swamped with home repairs.

Lesac, I wish you the best of luck finding something you like. The ladders.com might be an alright resource, seems to spam less than monster does.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
I'm trained as a chef and I work as the kitchen manager of a Hy-Vee store that just last week opened a brand new kitchen/ and full service restaurant.  I absolutely love the work that I do but it's a tough commitment.  My only issue with the job is that I can't count on the time that I plan to have off.  Nevertheless, running a real commercial kitchen with so many facets of the business that are my responsibility is what I like.  I've built a great crew to help and business is on the up and up.  With this new concept being introduced, it has energized my passion for what I do.  Very stressful, but I cannot see myself doing anything else.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
USAF. I get told what to do. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I dont. Lol.  :popcorn
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
currently the moral at the place i work is so terrible i hate my job too. mostly like you described. no real problems with any one person just don't like the negativity that surrounds me. so i hate them all.

i work at a t-shirt shop. for the last year and a half i've been building, with the help of a friend, a new online presence that will hopefully take the company in a new direction, currently we're contract printers. at some point in my life i've done every job in the building. so my daily job seems to consist of fixing what maybe broke or solving whatever problem arises. when things aren't broke i tend to be looking for the next thing we can make money on.

so to make work not suck, i'm going to paint the walls happy colors and see if we can't liven up the place a bit. make it fun to show up there. that said i just got a new vinyl print/cutter and want to do wraps and wall graphics too. i figure it will be fun. the boss did ask me to help put inphase car audio on the rockford fasgate sound lab truck. so maybe i'll be working on that and that'll be fun too. i don't get paid much and have zero benefits but i do okay. so for the next foreseeable future that'll be what i do for a living.
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline zire720

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 12:54:16 AM »
I am just graduating college this semester and will be joining Google out in Mountain View, CA in June. If there is anything I would say do what you have a passion for, network the #### out of people you know and get more people on your contact list. The more people that know you and your work will go a long way. And realize that sometimes you have to work these unfun jobs till you get to the right job for you! I have had a couple of jobs like your talking about, one of which i got thrown up on all the time as a dietary aid at a nursing home. Look on the bright side and keep an eye out for opportunities! But always follow what you enjoy because if you enjoy it typically you will do better at it, if you do better at it you can get better references, those references will help with getting a new better job! I know im just a young buck but that has been my experience and my families experience with this kind of stuff.   8)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Offline jrhunter

• My graphic design business page
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
I fix other people's 5hit. And do freelance graphic design.
2013 Subaru BRZ - 1969 VW Beetle - 1990 Honda CRX

and out come the wolves, out come the wolves

Offline omaha_919

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
This is you:
I'm 26 I have a very good paying job with great benefits that I absolutely hate. I mean I'm flat out depressed every time i go to work. I work 4 nights a week 1 12, 2 10s and an 8 hour shift, 90% of the time by myself. I have issues with most of my other coworkers, not that we don't get along, but that everyone is always pissed off at the company or everyone else since we are very short handed and don't have enough staff.

This is me:
I'm 38 I have a very good paying job with great benefits that I absolutely hate. I mean I'm flat out depressed every time i go to work. I work 5 days a week, on a team of 7 but I keep to myself because I can't trust anyone. I have issues with some of my other coworkers, particularly my manager and his "alleged" girlfriend who gets all kinds of special treatment.

I've been a graphic artist working in prepress for about 16 years now.
Honestly, I have been considering a career change just for sanity sake, I just can't land on a decision of what I want to do when I grow up.
I love to work with my hands, I'm not especially knowledgeable with cars but have an deep burning itch for them. I have a slight OCD complex, and want to be appreciated for my attention to detail.

Precision Machine Basics is what I'm looking at right now as a general direction from MCC that would keep me happy. A couple weeks ago I was thinking I should just do the welding classes to get started.
Classes start in about 2 weeks...    :-[   I dunno
"what is that, I can't even read it...  that's so JDM, it hurts"

- Rick Schumacher