Author Topic: *****Need Tuning ASAP*****  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Lyle Burkle

*****Need Tuning ASAP*****
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »
Posting this for my father-in-law.

Tank tuned his '09 Legacy GT a couple years ago. It's has been running rough lately, so he took it to one of the dealerships. They gave it a tune-up but it still continued to run rough. They are now wanting to replace the cars computer because it's supposedly no longer compatible with their equipment due to the tuning.

Is there anyone on here that would be able to help ASAP? This is his only car, so he can't be without it or long.

Text or call me: Don 4o2-218-7.6.o.5.

Also, what are the option for having it tuned in KC? Not sure if it could make it down there, but would like some recommendations ahead of time.
'08 GT owner

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
Re: *****Need Tuning ASAP*****
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
Responded to your PM.

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
Just so there's no confusion, My name is Don and Lyle is my father-in-law.

Just got some of the info from Lyle:
Its a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT 157,000 miles
On aggressive acceleration it misfires: plugs, wires, coil pack #3 has been changed out.
I was told after much research there are after market codes in the computer that are no longer functional,  they can't change 'em because they don't know what they are to be able to change them or how to change the after market codes.

He wasn't sure if it was Cobb or an Open Source tune. All he remembers is holding the laptop in his lap while Tank did the tune.
'08 GT owner

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
Just so there's no confusion, My name is Don and Lyle is my father-in-law.

Just got some of the info from Lyle:
Its a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT 157,000 miles
On aggressive acceleration it misfires: plugs, wires, coil pack #3 has been changed out.
I was told after much research there are after market codes in the computer that are no longer functional,  they can't change 'em because they don't know what they are to be able to change them or how to change the after market codes.

He wasn't sure if it was Cobb or an Open Source tune. All he remembers is holding the laptop in his lap while Tank did the tune.

What exact codes is it giving them?  There won't be any "aftermarket" codes in the stock ECU.

To be quite honest, it probably doesn't look good...  Tank's "tuning" was not good and it probably finally caught up with your father-in-law.  I would have them do a compression and leak-down test before putting anymore money into it.  If he doesn't know what the tuning device was, it was an Open Source tune.  Do you get any smoke with the oil cap off and the engine running?

while Tank did the tune.

:o

That was actually common for him.  He'd be driving the car while the owner sat in the passenger seat holding the laptop.  It makes ZERO sense to do that, but that's what he did. 

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Also, what did the dealer change?

Mods list?

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
It has an SPT intake and exhaust.

I am under the assumption that this is what has been changed:

"plugs, wires, coil pack #3 has been changed out."

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:59 AM »
It has an SPT intake and exhaust.

I am under the assumption that this is what has been changed:

"plugs, wires, coil pack #3 has been changed out."

He doesn't know what codes they got but the plugs, wires, and coil pack is what they changed.

Any suggestions to what he should be doing? The dealership is supposed to change out the ECU today and proceed from there. Is he throwing money away. What steps should he be taking?

Thanks for the involvement so far.
'08 GT owner

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
My suggestion is four posts up.  The outcome may not be a desirable one.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:02:45 AM by jaz »

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »
Should he even bother with the ECU right now? Is that something you would be able to reflash to OEM? Should he do the tests before the ECU is fixed or after?

If the compression and leak-down tests come back with bad new; is the complete engine shot?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:42:52 AM by Lyle Burkle »
'08 GT owner

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
If I knew for a fact that the techs working with the ECU knew what they were doing, I'd press with looking the ECU route.  The problem is, I have very little faith in them actually know what they're doing with the ECU, based off your previous posts and experience.

With that said and given the previous tuner, I would press for a compression (preferably leak down) test.  If it fails, it could mean a minor inconvenience or a large one. 

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »
Well, Lyle was pretty set on having the dealership replace the computer. If the engine is shot should I recommend having Russ's garage rebuild it? I also heard there is a place in Colorado that has good rebuilt engines.
'08 GT owner

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
I have to agree with jaz. I doubt anything is wrong with the ECU, and you may have a more serious mechanical issue. What, if any, mods are done to the vehicle. Not asking about replaced parts, but aftermarket modifications? I could look at the ECU and determine what got changed in the tune unless it's too late and the ECU had already been replaced. Either way, let us know what happens.

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
I think Lyle was pretty set on having the dealership do the work. I was hoping to find him a cheaper route, but he doesn't seem interested.

Is the ECU something that could be reflashed and sold?

Only mods were: SPT intake and SPT exhaust.
'08 GT owner

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
To repeat what Jason said...which is pretty much the consensus here...in a hopefully simplistic version.

If the engine is shot, having the dealership do any work would seem like a huge waste of money and time.

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:59 AM »
To repeat what Jason said...which is pretty much the consensus here...in a hopefully simplistic version.

If the engine is shot, having the dealership do any work would seem like a huge waste of money and time.

I agree. That's why I came here. Dealerships don't solve problems . . . they replace parts until the problem disappears.
'08 GT owner

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 07:13:14 AM »
Update:

So, the dealership has had his car for almost four weeks now. Hopefully they aren't charging him anything for the loaner car. They told him they think the computer won't be an issue now, and that they should be able to repair it or the car without getting a new ECU. They are now saying that an oil leak occurred from the problems and spewed oil onto the timing belt. They are going to change the timing belt and tensioner. The turbo is also not working and they are going to replace it. So far the bill is looking to be $4,000 when done. This is all from what he said, however, it was a brief conversation so I'm not sure if there is more wrong or he just doesn't understand what's going on.

By the way, the car is being worked on at Edward's Subaru in Council Bluffs.
'08 GT owner

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »
The turbo "isn't working"? What exactly isn't working about it? Sounds like the dealership just throwing parts on for no reason. Edwards doesn't exactly have the best reputation when working on modified Subarus. If the turbo died, there is a good chance it sent metal through the intake, so worst case you could be looking at an entire new engine. Were there metal shavings in the oil?

I wouldn't put any more money into this thing until I was told exactly what was wrong and had the current engine thoroughly examined.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Lyle Burkle

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
Not sure what's wrong with the turbo, but I know he had to have it replaced about a year ago too. I think this happened while out of town.

If you were to give him advice as to what to do, what would you tell him? Tow it to Russ's?
'08 GT owner

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
I think the scary thing for all of us is they're throwing money at the car, and you/he quickly is approaching the point of not really being worth it in a car valuation sense.

If it was my car:
I'd want specifics on why they are replacing the turbo.
I'd want to know what oil leak caused timing problems.
I'd wanna be sure the engine wasn't crap. Heading down this road would involve the tests Jaz was suggesting. At 4k of work so far, those tests are comparatively cheap.

Offline Alex_WRX

• Novice
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
I agree. Why start replacing parts when we don't even know what the problem is yet? Absolutely the consensus is do a pressure and leak test, make sure the motor itself isn't bad.  Like bspec said, if the turbo is bad, it may have sent metal through the intake.
'14 WRX WRB Hatchback - e85