Author Topic: Any year BRAT  (Read 2050 times)

Offline impostor

Any year BRAT
« on: January 22, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »
I am looking for a good to excellent condition Brat.  I would really prefer the gen 1 with the round headlights but a gen 2 would be ok.  I am not looking for a 'project' car at this time so it needs to have zero rust and be driveable.  A short road trip to get it is OK as long as I can drive it home.  I know this is a pretty tall order for this part of the the country but I have to at least throw it out there.  I realize I will probably have to end up going west and having one shipped.

Thanks,
Jim
'10 FXT, 95 Impreza turbo, 93 Legacy turbo wagon, 80 BRAT, 77 DL coupe FWD

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Any year BRAT
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »
You should contact: McBrat

He has owned a fair few and might know about some (or maybe have one available!).

Offline impostor

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:32 PM »
Ah yes, I forgot about him! Thanks for the heads up!  I kinda remember meeting him and a couple other Iowa guys that brought their older Subarus to a meet down at NP dodge park several years ago.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
No problem, man! 

I don't know if we've ever crossed paths ourselves but hope to see you around someday, not many 1st gen. Leggy turbos in NE! 
I bought Mick's '94 sedan a few years ago.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »
The closest I've come to seeing a Brat is the old Subaru brochures my dad kept when he had one.  I would LOVE to see one in the flesh!  I think Aki's Turbo Legacy is the oldest Subaru I've seen at meets in the last 3 years.

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
I've been looking for a good gen 1 BRAT for over a year.

Zero rust, short distance, not a project...seems a bit like hitting the lotto.

Do some searchtempest runs. That helps at least comb CL.

Offline impostor

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
I have had my eye on an 82 out in Colorado.  It seems priced ok considering the area.  It has no rust and he is 100% confident it will make the drive back.  It also has the cyclops light which is one thing I do like on a gen 2 (I have a strange fascination with the quirky features back then).  By the time you find one out west and then have it shipped you could easily be in the $4500-6k range.  I have a good friend out in Denver that I haven't seen in a while so my wife and I might just make a long weekend out of it.

No problem, man! 

I don't know if we've ever crossed paths ourselves but hope to see you around someday, not many 1st gen. Leggy turbos in NE! 
I bought Mick's '94 sedan a few years ago.

I don't think we've met yet but someday I'll have to try to make it out to meet again.  Life got kinda busy with a wife and 2 kids so its a bit harder to do those things.  I work at a transmission shop a picked up my 93 wagon from a guy that brought it in needing a front diff and case but he didn't want to put any more money in it.  He wanted less than scrap value for it.  Somehow we had 2 good cores at work so I was able to fix it pretty cheap.  Every fluid leak has been fixed and the only thing I have left to do is replace the antenna mast. 

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
Nice, that sounds like a good angle.  And CO isn't too far when we're talking about the kind of vehicle in question and condition.

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »
Rust free gen 2 seems like more fun than a rusted to #### and gone gen 1.

Cyclops though. That helps a ton.

Just carefully inspect the car before you meet up with the Staties across the border.  ;)

Offline impostor

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
DAMN, this popped up on ebay and I was just out in the Bay area!!  The sky will be the limit on this one though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Other-DL-Standard-Cab-Pickup-2-Door-1980-subaru-brat-/231463302436?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35e449b524&item=231463302436&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

The one I'm looking at has some rust on the pinch welds of the rockers where someone didn't use the correct lift points but I have a friend that is amazing with body work and said its an easy fix (for him). 

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
Looks really clean!

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:41 PM »
Wow. That's crazy. If it is half as clean as it looks that one should be a big ticket item.

Offline impostor

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Found my Brat.  It's a very clean California car.  At this point in my life with a wife and two kids, I do put a price on my time.  So I did not want a project at all, just something I can enjoy right away.   It should be here by the end of the week.  The kid in Denver sold the 1982 the night before we were going to drive out and buy it.  Then two days later the buyer posted it to ebay and ended up making almost a $2k profit.

During the wait for my Brat to get here, I got sort of impatient and went down to KC and bought a 77 DL coupe that is in decent shape. 

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
I require you to bring these to an event.  I have never had the pleasure of seeing one of these cars in PERSON.

...just in pictures and in the old 70s and 80s brochures my dad kept when he had his.

Offline impostor

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:49:26 PM »
Will do.  The DL is going to be a project.  The governor gear broke off so it won't shift out of first.  My main focus with it is getting it driveable long enough to make it to my buddy's so he can evaluate the rust.

Speaking of brochures...to compliment the brat I just had to get a 1980 brochure.  It is fun to read how things were advertised back then.  'Features' included door-to-door carpeting, cigarette lighter, AM pushbutton radio, tinted glass, etc.

Offline Doomed

• admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
Pics man pics!
I like TALL Subarus.

Offline rallyfan555

• 2001 2.5rs sedan Black Diamond Pearl
    • MyLifeAtSpeed.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
Yes we need to see pictures of this Brat!  I would love to see it at a meet this spring too!
*2001 2.5rs sedan Black Diamond Pearl
*2001 Outback H6 LL Bean Edition
*1999 Legacy Outback Black Diamond Pearl- Sold
*2003 WRX sedan World Rally Blue-Sold
*1999 2.5rs coupe Rally Blue Pearl - Sold