Author Topic: summer tires for 2015  (Read 2200 times)

Offline mistahcat

• '11 sti, dom 3 w/ support
summer tires for 2015
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
Summer will be here again, probably. Opinions on tires? To organize, let's compare best performers under $300 each, since we all have winters too let's exclude snow performance. I was thinking Michelin Pilot AS3's. This article solidified it for me: http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/01/22/bmwblog-tests-michelins-new-category-defying-rubber-pilot-sport-as-3/

Also not limiting this to all season or summer performance. Make a case for anything $300 and under for summer/spring/fall, excluding the need to be awesome in snow. I realize there will be a lot of variety in opinions here and completely different approaches, but I'd love to hear ideas and explanations as to why you think it's the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:56:37 PM by mistahcat »
2011 STi in LR, Dom 3.0

Offline Xafen

Re: summer tires for 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »
Hmm, here I was going to go with the Continental Extreme Contact DW ones...I may have to rethink that.

TLDR: Are these unidirectional?

Edit: And I can't see, are these unidirectional? I really want to stick with tires I can rotate in an X pattern, as the 2012+ Impreza's seem to have issues with uneven tire wear (even when supposedly in spec alignment, that you can't adjust some of it) if you don't frequently rotate the tires, and a unidirectional tire would make that difficult.

From the picture I can see on TireRack I only see "outside," no direction arrow.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:20:47 PM by Xafen »

Offline Xafen

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »
Ah, ok see at http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Michelin/Pilot+Sport+AS+3 that it's asymmetrical.

It'll work in a normal rotation pattern for me! Now to convince myself to get rid of the stock Yokahamas the 2012 Impreza came with lol. They have stupid long wear and I could probably get 2-3 more years out of them, but they're terrible in just about every regard but wear and mpg, they're even louder on the road than my snow tires =/, and I'm ready for different tires this spring, I think...

Offline djohn89

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
Those Michelin's are very tempting for a warm weather set-up...

Offline mistahcat

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:49 PM »
Thanks for looking into that xafen. After you brought it up I was wondering myself.
2011 STi in LR, Dom 3.0

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »
I love my Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer. I got them from Discount Tire for around $212/tire, installed. If you run dedicated winters, why settle for all(no)-seasons?
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline mistahcat

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »
I love my Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer. I got them from Discount Tire for around $212/tire, installed. If you run dedicated winters, why settle for all(no)-seasons?

Do all seasons get better wet grip than summers? Also, during the seasonal transition there are those freakish cold spells that once turned my stock summer dunlops to plastic Barbie tires. The Michelin super sports do well in wet and prewinter?
2011 STi in LR, Dom 3.0

Offline Xafen

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »

Main reason I would consider an all-season if it's close to summer for most aspects is wear. Not having to worry quite as much about getting the winters on is also nice. It was nice not having to put my winters on until mid December this year.

P.S. Not that I would have even had to have winters this year, but I like having fun, while feeling completely safe and in control, in the snow =0

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
I've driven on extreme performance summer tires that were great in the wet, some do better than others though.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 12:28:20 AM »
The Super Sports are the best wet tire I've ever driven. Their grip in the rain is amazing. They actually give up a small amount of dry grip compared to some other summer tires for phenomenal wet performance.

Like all summer tires, they aren't great on ice. I usually run them until about Thanksgiving and switch back in March. I won't drive them on snow and am very careful with early morning transitional commutes. They are very drivable below freezing if you aren't being an idiot.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
My favorite summer tire so far was when I was running Dunlop Direzza ZIIs. They are, however, rather pricey and short lived. I used them to autocross and as a daily summer. Even once they had heat cycled and started to get harder and harder, they still heated up well (with prodding) and got sticky. They also never really had a problem cutting rain.

The only thing I'd seriously avoid, is GO19 Grids. I've seen two sets fall apart (cupping) far before they were even somewhat aged.

The Z2s, will sadly, get replaced by No-Seasons this summer so I can get more toys for the rally project.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
I really wanted to get Z2s (or the newer Z3s) when I got my Super Sports, but Discount Tire couldn't get them, and I didn't want to pass up their deal with included install. Tire Rack had decent prices on the Z3, but install put it over the top.

Offline djohn89

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »
ZIIs are on close-out at Tire rack right now and I really need to get summer wheels/tires on order.  I need something that I can track at some point this year but also need all the daily driving requirements right now.  The Super Sports seem like a good compromise between the long life of the AS3 and the shorter on the ZII but are quite a bit more expensive. 

Realistically, how long could I expect the ZIIs to last me?

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
Z3?  You mean, Z2 Start Specs?

Personally, if you're looking for a summer tire on a heavy car with some power, Z2 or Z2 Start Specs would be my choice.  I still have plenty of life left in my Z2's on my S2000 after a season of track and a few autoX's.  They'll heat cycle out before I wear them down (granted my S2000 distributes the load far better than a Subaru). 

I have had Z1 Star Specs on my STi for several years now and I'm still happy with them.  For mostly street driving, expect the ZII's to last you quite some time... Years. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:47:49 PM by jaz »

Offline djohn89

• Novice
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
That answers my question. I'm honestly looking at running them from say April to October then switching out every year. A track event here and there.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
With this weather on the 10 day running through mid March with no end in sight, is anyone switching back to summer tires? I'm considering it this weekend. My winters were very soft yesterday.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
With this weather on the 10 day running through mid March with no end in sight, is anyone switching back to summer tires? I'm considering it this weekend. My winters were very soft yesterday.

I'm sure there will be another snow, but with the ground being this warm its likely it will all turn to slush right away and you'll be fine on summer tires.

Offline Xafen

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
I took my winters off today! Blizzard warning incoming.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 06:36:57 PM »

I'm sure there will be another snow, but with the ground being this warm its likely it will all turn to slush right away and you'll be fine on summer tires.

Shut your mouf!

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »
^What he said!