Author Topic: Newbie to Forum and my 2016 WRX  (Read 1762 times)

Offline royal_wmb

• I like fast things on 4 wheels
Newbie to Forum and my 2016 WRX
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
Hey guys! New to the forum, and to my 2016 WRX Premium!! I am in Millard/West Omaha, excited to see we have a local forum and meets, I am really looking forward, and hope to be a part of it! Going to try and make it out to the Baxter meet on July 18th.
So far I am in love with this car. I am 600 miles into my break in. I was unfortunate to have a run in with a Raccoon, and did $1528.00 worth of damage after owning it 6 days :( Should be getting the car back on Friday, hoping the body shop didn't take the engine above 4 grand, though I am sure they did..Not going to let that get my spirits down. Very excited!!  Am curious if anyone else has had run in's with coon's and how much damage they did to your cars.
I have had Subaru's for a while now, this is just my fist time in the turbo world...not planning on looking back.

'16 WRX Premium
'69 Chevy C-10

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: Newbie to Forum and my 2016 WRX
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »
Welcome!

I love the 2016 WRX.  The '15s were already a hit with many enthusiasts, but the '16 brought a refreshing updated infotainment system and the more aggressive 18 inch wheels to the Premium and Limited WRXs.  They're actually the same wheels used on the 2011-2014 base model WRX STIs, only painted gray.  They really look great on this car!

I've seen a few members who have had run-ins (literally) with racoons before.  They seem to do quite a bit of damage to the lower portions of the bumper.  We had a guy who hit one that practically ripped the entire lower bumper portion off from the middle of the license plate all the way to the fog light housing.  I guess it's just bad luck at the 6-day mark!  At least it wasn't a deer!

What Subarus did you have before your WRX?

Offline royal_wmb

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Reverend! I am actually digging the stock 18 inchers, I didn't really need the nav, but the HK stereo is nice and sound really good.  I haven't gotten underneath to check it out yet, but the '16 premium and limited are supposed to have the same inverted strut suspension on the front as the STI has. I am really glad it wasn't a deer, then would have to wait..cause I am not to partial to buying one used.

Body shop is replacing front face, passenger side fog light and turn signal, bezel, wire harness, wheel well, and few other plastic pieces.

Tinted windows is the next step, then will slowly do light mods, like AP, muffler delete, intake.  Will be my daily so nothing too crazy.

I had a 2002 outback, then a 2010 Impreza premium, this will be my third Subie.

How often are the local meets in Omaha?
'16 WRX Premium
'69 Chevy C-10

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
The meets on Wednesdays are every week at 6pm, so unless there's a holiday... we'll be at Baxter Subaru rain or shine.  The bigger meets (like the one on the 18th) happen about once every month or so.  There's a lot of car shows and such this summer with 1320 Video, 360 Performance, MACE, and other car groups in the Omaha area. 

Most of those are just car shows.  Sometimes they involve street racing or going to a track for things, but then there's usually admission required for those.  The bigger NSOC meets almost always include some kind of cruise on a scenic route.  There are some wonderful roads in the Eastern Nebraska / Western Iowa area and it's always fun to enjoy these roads in the company of curb-hugging Subarus.

Most of the weekly Wednesday meets are just get-togethers to grab dinner with everyone.  This week we are testing out a cruise route to check for flow issues that may be caused by construction, road closures, or bad road surfaces that would mean adjusting the route for safety. 

There are pictures from some recent events that can give you an idea of what the bigger meets are like.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/84505972@N05/sets/72157651269449628
https://www.flickr.com/photos/84505972@N05/sets/72157647418708171
https://www.flickr.com/photos/84505972@N05/sets/72157642822477683

Offline royal_wmb

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »
Aki, thanks for the welcome!

Reverend, thats too awesome! thanks for that info! Those pics are really cool! I didn't realize there was that many followers here. I am going to have to roll out for sure, I would really like to go out on some of the cruises...I have been looking for some cool spots to cruise.  This past weekend I took county road L34 up to Beebeetown IA, that was a cool twisting road.  I am going to make the July 18th meet for sure, but will try and get there on a Wednesday before that.  If you see a new gen Lapis blue WRX it will more than likely be me, lol.  Thanks again for the info!!
'16 WRX Premium
'69 Chevy C-10

Offline royal_wmb

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
Found the group on FB and looks like I got the add, will be easier to keep up with the happenings on there.
'16 WRX Premium
'69 Chevy C-10

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:26:30 AM »
I think you're the first Lapice Blue WRX in town, actually.  Last year that color was "Galaxy Blue Pearl".  I have yet to see a LBP WRX in person, so all the more reason to come out to a meet!

L34 into Beebeetown is one of my favorite roads in Western Iowa.  That stretch was actually part of our "Iowaska" route we've done for the last 3 years now.  It's actually kinda scary in some parts with the wavy pavement and sharp turns.  There are two right angle turns in that stretch that are banked PERFECTLY that I must admit I don't take at the suggested "25 mph".

There's a pretty active bunch of Subaru owners in the area.  Outside of the Nebraska Subaru Owners Club, there's a handful of car groups in Omaha that some owners are also active with.  There's also an active Subaru group to the north called the "Siouxland Subaru Club" that we have done some joint events with.  I am also told that the Iowa Subaru Club is a very active group though I have yet to make it to an event of theirs. 

There's also some great regional events.  The most popular (and probably the biggest one for miles) is Scoobapalooza in St Louis, MO.  Usually theres a decent sized NSOC group that heads down there each year.  We also had a Midwest Subaru Meet held near Sioux City, IA in early Summer of 2014 that was a lot of fun that had several groups in the area join in the fun.

The forums generally get used for technical discussion and build threads.  It's a much better format than Facebook to use for documenting stuff like that.  Facebook generally gets used more for Events and "I spotted this WRX on Dodge St" pictures. 

Hope to meet you soon!

Offline Raven

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »
Welcome.  I am also in the Millard area.  I'll throw you a wave if I see ya.
2012 Wrx Sedan Ice Silver Metallic

Offline SubaLou

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »
Welcome!1  That Lapis is sweeeet!  I have the 16' I White. Like it a lot too. Already got my tints done. I don't recommend GlassPro for tints - which is unfortunate. They had good ratings on google....they are decent....but I guess I expected better from them.  I have stock radion in mine, and ma paying for it bigtime. Looking at getting the kickers speakers in possibly to help. I don't really need a sub. If I see in in SW O, I'll drop a beep. 

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
Great to meet you on Saturday!  Car looked great!  Hope you had a fun time. :subaru: