Author Topic: Used 2001 Outback - Thinking About Purchasing  (Read 862 times)

Offline crdomaha

Used 2001 Outback - Thinking About Purchasing
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
Subaru has always been a car brand that I have respected and often looked for when purchasing a used car. My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer. I currently drive a 2005 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe with a 5-Speed Manual transmission. I have always preferred manual transmissions, but it is not the best during rush hour traffic. I recently came across a used 2001 Outback (please see the link below). For the price and mileage on it, it seems like a decent price. Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge about this vehicle specifically, if not, please take a look at the link and let me know if it seems like a decent enough car. It would be primarily my work car, but not the family vehicle. thanks for your help!

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/657107121/overview/#1

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Used 2001 Outback - Thinking About Purchasing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »
On paper it looks o.k. but I would strongly suggest getting an inspection from someone who knows Subaru pretty well.

Russ' Garage and Ron's Garage in Omaha are solid places to check for a pre-purchase inspection, will be worth every dollar.

Offline crdomaha

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
I have a friend that works at Beardmore as well. About how much would somethin like that cost?

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
An inspection is usually on the order of $50-60.

Offline penguins014

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:05 PM »
Hi crdOmaha.  Maybe you've already made your decision, but I want to also recommend having Russ take a look at it.   Is it a 2.5 or 3.0 H6 engine?  One thing to watch for is the notorious head-gasket leak that many of the high mileage Outbacks have.   This is a $2000 +/- repair to correct.  Russ would be able to tell you if this is an issue.  Also, if the timing belt has been changed at 90K.. I did not look at your link so maybe these questions have already been answered.  That said, I absolutely love my 2000 Outback. Back in the 80s, I drove a GL Wagon and Brat.  We've been Subaru fans for many years.  The Outback is by far my favorite.  The handling, suspension, and AWD are all great reasons to consider purchasing the 2001.  Just make sure that you've had a good inspection.   Good luck!   One other interesting side-note.  Some friends of ours caravaned with us to Tennessee to run a marathon.  They drove an awesome little '97 outback to Memphis and back.   It has 250K on it.  A young family with three kids.   We had a blast.  So, young families and Subaru Outbacks can make a good fit :)
1983 GL Wagon 1800/Long gone.
2000 Outback Wagon/Current
2007 B9 Tribeca Limited/Current
2013 WRX STI Hatchback/Hopeful