Author Topic: e85?  (Read 639 times)

Offline x.Ln

e85?
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
Anyone have any trouble running e85 year round? Thinking about doing it for the brz or sti (or both). My main fear is start up in the winter or my tune not matching the winter blend of e85.

those that have it, have you had any of the above issues? would you do it again? where did you get tuned? Is it just swapping the fuel pump to a walbro and 1000 injectors? I'm a full stage 2 right now, I would probably go with a top mount intercooler and possibly a few other upgrades at  the time of the tune to make it worthwhile.

thanks
2013 SWP Subaru BRZ - shift knob
2006 WRB Subaru WRX STI - stage 2 pro tune

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
Re: e85?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
As long as you've got a good tune, I'd say no worries. I've run it year round for five years now. I had cold start issues running DW1000 injectors and various e/local/self tunes. Since May 2015, I've been running ID1000 with a Graham tune with no issues all year. No adjusting the tune for summer/winter or anything. The EJ25 ECU has sufficient capability to automatically adjust for the different blends.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
I've had my WRX running on corn for a year. I had a few issues as the temps started to drop with the car cranking over a few extra times before starting. I mentioned it to my tuner and his revision cleaned that all up. I never had any issues with the car not starting or running poorly once it was running. He also gave me a second map for E70 over the winter, but even without that revision it would just run slightly rich.

I'd totally do it again and I want to do it to my Legacy GT, but it's going to need a valvebody and other supporting mods before that can happen. Jason, JazTuning, did mine and it runs AMAZING. I remember the first day driving around with his tune on the car. It was idling so smoothly that I thought it had stalled! Fuel pump and injectors should be all that you need, tuners can always do revisions later if you add in more parts.

I'd also recommend getting a flex sensor if you think you may ever use flex fuel. I have the flexconverter.com unit that will readout your E% over bluetooth to the phone. No more pulling off fuel lines and using the glass test tube to measure fuel content.

Offline x.Ln

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:10:48 PM »
How'd you guys feel about the power increase? What kind of mpg drop did you get? I only drive my Sti maybe 2000 miles a year so not really worried just curious.
2013 SWP Subaru BRZ - shift knob
2006 WRB Subaru WRX STI - stage 2 pro tune

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:06:40 AM »
I'd say the power increase was the biggest bang for the buck mod on the car besides having an Protuner&AP. Everyone that I've seen switch to E85 has been blown away by the power.

My WRX averaged about 19-20 mpg before on 91 and it does 14-16 now on E85. Cost per mile is down also, it went from $.14/mile to $.09

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Power is very nice, even with the stock turbo, the power bump is excellent. More than the power, the main reason I run it is because of the safety factor. Detonation kills these motors, and e85 is very resistant to detonation. Secondary to that, I feel better about running clean burning e85 with my catless downpipe than I would on 91. There have been several Colorado guys on legacygt.com that have passed the roadside sniffer smog check running a catless downpipe with e85.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com