Author Topic: Used WRX Search - Need info please  (Read 449 times)

Offline Reason44

Used WRX Search - Need info please
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
I am looking to get into a used WRX in the near future and would love some input from past owners on what to expect or look for.  Or is there a good resource online to get more info?

I of course realize that most of it depends on the previous owner/s, but are there certain model years that have more or less maintenance issues?  Are there obvious things to look for when looking to buy?  Excessive wear and tear signs? 

I've been looking at the '08 to '12 range and have not had experience with Subaru or the WRX.  For instance, my family has had a few Maximas and I know to not be afraid of 100K... is that a red flag for this type of vehicle?  I had a '91 Eclipse Turbo that started having issues at almost exactly 75K and that was always the number I heard turbos would start having issues.  Is that sill true, or am i wait out of touch with new turbos?

I want performance and AWD.  I think WRX and Audi, but Audi's maintenance record/cost scares the crap out of me, especially pre-'12.

Thoughts?

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: Used WRX Search - Need info please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
If you're looking for '08-'12, I'd adjust your search to '09-14 instead.  2008 was the first year for the 3rd Generation WRX redesign and they didn't seem to do too well.  Detuned engine, transmission issues, most forums and pages will warn you away from those.  Used WRXs are tough to come by... especially unmolested ones.  Avoid Buy-here Pay-here lots.  Check classifieds (both here and on Facebook) and every now and then a good one will show up at a local dealership. 

Other than that, it's mostly up to how the car was treated previously.  I've seen people beat on Subaru WRXs with good and bad luck before, so it's really up to the research... and a little luck.

Online there are BUCKETS of resources.  NASIOC, IWSTI, and oodles of reviews on FaceTube and YouBook.

Offline Reason44

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
Thanks Reverend.  That is exactly the type of info I'm looking for.  I'd seen a comment or two about the '08 not being the best, but I haven't done enough research to know if that was just a fluke or the norm.  I've done some looking on autotrader and found a few, (noticed when they were not 'quality' dealerships) but its going to be a trip to see them.  There are two or three in Ohio, may have a road trip in my near future.

Thanks and I'd love more info if anyone else has input.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about finding an 08. We had a member on here with all kinds of transmission problems in his 09 WRX that he switched to a Legacy, to trans issues aren't limited to the 08.

The big problem with the 08 is that they carried over the same smaller TD04 turbo from the prior generation. The 09-14 WRX got the much bigger VF52, nearly the same size as the STi turbo. It is very easy to swap a VF52 on an 08 WRX and get a proper tune, if you are so inclined. We have another member on here who bought an 08 WRX with a VF52 and has had great results with it for several years now.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com