Author Topic: Science proves that turbo blankets are a good thing  (Read 904 times)

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Science proves that turbo blankets are a good thing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »
Hah!  Was just shopping around for a blanket. 

There's not much to screw up but I imagine different materials could make a difference... As such, anyone have a preferred or recommended brand? 

PTP was the one that I ran across right away as having stock Subaru fitment (this will be going on a VF24): http://ptpturboblankets.com/Subaru-WRX-Turbo-Blanket-Black-000513.html

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »
I've been running a PTP for 5 years without issue. Their lava rock one looks great. I say if MotoIQ likes them (http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4047/The-PTP-Lava-Turbo-Blanket-Literally-Rocks.aspx), you can't go wrong. I love MotoIQ. I still miss Sport Compact Car.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Good enough for me by far! 

And yeah, was excited to see that familiar font and page formatting before recognizing the name.  :)

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:23 AM »
And now that I look closer at performance and temp numbers, Lava it is!  http://ptpturboblankets.com/Subaru-WRX-Turbo-Blanket-Lava-000516.html

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
I had just heard about this earlier this week and have been contemplating getting one for the WRX STI.  Even on a stock engine, wouldn't a heat shield be helpful?

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
Yep, the more you can do to manage heat in the engine bay, they better the overall performance of charge cooling (moreover with TMIC setups) and less heat related wear and tear on other components. 

The more heat you keep in the hot side of the turbo system from the headers to the turbine, the more turbo and therefore overall performance gains you see.

Short answer: both good but the most benefits are gained from using both a blanket and heat shield(s) in concert.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:49:34 AM by Aki »

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Even on a stock tune?

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »
I'm not sure the tune would enter in to it, actually.

The changes that you make with heat management and wrapping/blankets are grounded in physics.  The faster and hotter the exhaust gasses, the quicker and faster the physical turbine wheel moves when pushed by those gasses.

Better said, the ECU should be able to correct for gains made by the heat management, though those gains may never require more fueling/timing/etc. changes... things that are already happening are just happening quicker?  Someone more versed in engine mapping can add to that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:25:32 PM by Aki »

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 11:53:32 PM »
I had one on Dusty and loved it!