Author Topic: Louisiana 2016  (Read 639 times)

Offline HawkWagon

Louisiana 2016
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
Jessa & I (and Ellie) are recently returned from Louisiana. It was, by necessity, travel very much on the cheap, but as usual we did bring our camera. We will once again share a few sample pictures here, with links below to more on my blog.

Miles driven: 2630
Fuel efficiency: 27.6 mpg (would have been higher if not for the flooding, about which more later)
Longest single stretch of driving: 24 hours, of which I did all but an hour and 20 minutes (would have been shorter if not for the flooding)
Mechanical issues: none
Traffic citations: none
Nights spent sleeping in car: thankfully, none (though there may have been micro-naps during that 24-hour stretch)

Offline HawkWagon

Re: Louisiana 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
The day before we left Louisiana, it began to rain. Hard. Hard for there, which is trouble many of you have not known. We knew it was likely to be serious when the well water at the house where we were staying turned colour: ideally you're looking for 7-Up without the bubbles, but it started running the colour of root beer, moderating to ginger ale if you ran the tap long enough. That evening, the news readers spoke of unprecedented rain, and Jessica's cousin—who had recently arranged the purchase of a house in Covington, but had not yet closed—decided to drive up the next day to check on the property.

Casey's new home turned out to be fine, and now he knows it likely always will be, but many others in our "home" parish of St. Tammany were not so lucky. There's not much in the way of high ground here, and the water table is barely below the surface at the best of times. Some homes, especially newer ones, are built on stilts, but once we hit the road, we drove past many houses that were at least partially underwater, their residents standing out by the highway waiting for the floodwaters to recede so they could tally their losses. Skiffs and jonboats ferried people to and fro, while we followed fire trucks and National Guard lorries up the flooded highway...until we reached a bridge where the water was running too deep for even the Guard, let alone the Outback, to get through.

We turned around, only to find that the highway we had just traversed had been closed behind us. We detoured down to I-12, which was of course now bumper-to-bumper, and after 2 1/2 hours of laborious driving found ourselves back at our starting point. The detour set us up for what turned out to be a 24-hour return trip, with rain and/or fog the entire way to Nebraska.

On the plus side, I now know I'm qualified for LeMans if Subaru ever fields a team...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:56:18 PM by HawkWagon »

Offline HoustonR

Re: Louisiana 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
Jessa & I (and Ellie) are recently returned from Louisiana. It was, by necessity, travel very much on the cheap, but as usual we did bring the Hydromax xtreme and a camera. We will once again share a few sample pictures here, with links below to more on my blog.

Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:09:07 AM by HoustonR »