Author Topic: Tribeca 2006 jerks, "acts" like it is going to die  (Read 959 times)

Offline banksmom

Tribeca 2006 jerks, "acts" like it is going to die
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »
Hello! My daughter purchased a Tribeca B?? (2006???).  She has had it for two years.

I filled the tank on Saturday.  During my drive to the ball field, the vehicle started to "jerk" while going up the hill.  The check engine light came on, then went off - a few times.  It did it again while I was accelerating.  It did not do it when I stayed at a level speed on level ground.  It has done it every day since.

Note: This happened a month or so back.  I believe she took it in to auto zone to check for the code (PO3...).  It was reset and had no problems until now.

I am looking for a mechanic/repair location that can assist with the diagnosis in Omaha.  Any suggestions?

Thank you
Patty

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Tribeca 2006 jerks, "acts" like it is going to die
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 11:34:08 AM »
It may be too long now since the code was originally stored and read to read it again (I think they stay around for 50 start/stop cycles), but that exact code will help the diagnosis a bit.  In case she saved the little diagnostic printout from AutoZone, that should list it too.

These are two good local shops that are experienced with Subarus and could help you:

Russ' Garage
3395 North 88th Plaza
Omaha NE, 68134
russgarage.com

Ron's Garage
Address
4545 Leavenworth Street
Omaha,  NE   68106
Phone
402-553-7670

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
Those are both good shops. To add to that, it sounds like you have an issue with spark plugs, plug wires (if that engine has them), and/or coil(s). If that is the case it should be a fairly easy and inexpensive fix that will essentially be a 'tuneup'.

Offline banksmom

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »
Thank you!

I will let her know about both locations and let her decide.  I will also ask her to look for the paper from auto zone.

I love to hear the word inexpensive!

Thanks again!!!
Patty

Offline impostor

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »
Sounds a lot like a misfire. If the check engine light was flashing when it happened, that's bad! It means a misfire is occurring that can potentially damage the catalytic converters ($$$$). It can make a relatively inexpensive repair turn expensive really quick. I highly recommend that she stops driving it and have it towed to a shop. On that note, I recommend Russ' Garage. My opinion is heavily biased though (I work there  ;) ) Give us a call @ 402-681-5128 and we'll get it squared away!
'10 FXT, 95 Impreza turbo, 93 Legacy turbo wagon, 80 BRAT, 77 DL coupe FWD

Offline banksmom

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
Well, my daughter decided to take it to Ron's Garage as it was closer to work (ok - closer for me - I could walk to work from the garage!).  We were told it was the battery - so she ended up with a new battery.  Something else was loose underneath which was fixed.

Since that time, the Tribeca has "jerked" twice, approximately mid-May and today.

She tried to call Ron's Garage mid-May but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone.  She tried again today - only to find out it closed on May 31st.

Does anyone know why Ron's garage closed?

Thank you
Patty

Offline impostor

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »
Is the check engine light on again?

I also heard that about Ron's, not sure what the deal is.

Jim
'10 FXT, 95 Impreza turbo, 93 Legacy turbo wagon, 80 BRAT, 77 DL coupe FWD