Author Topic: Growing the NSOC  (Read 680 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Growing the NSOC
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »
Hello fellow Subie owners!  I don't mean to go over anyone's "helmet", but I think now's a great time to kick things into a higher gear both for this forum and the NSOC overall.  I wanted to start some discussion here to get ideas going and, hopefully, put those ideas into action soon.

It's no secret that forum activity has gone down in recent years.  In general, the internet scene is moving away from forums and towards social media instead.  However, there are inherent weaknesses to social media platforms for information... namely the ability to organize, sort, and effectively search for information.  A lot of the veteran members of this group are aware of that, but due to lack of activity here, they've kinda fallen off the face of the planet.  Revitalizing this forum could bring some of those people back, but there's more we should do to connect the newer owners with this resource.

This forum is iPhone-native, so users can use Tapatalk to connect not only to NSOC, but most of the other major forums.  Many members don't know about this function so I think if we just let more people know about it, it would make the forum easier to access.  But for there to be success here, there needs to be a connection between the driving force of the internet (social media) and the forum.  If we do this right, traffic will drive itself.

There are bits that DO lend themselves better to a Social Media platform like Facebook.  The Classifieds, for instance, has thrived on Facebook and it's much easier to update and take down sold items with the format they have there.  I think we could turn the Classifieds section here into a redirect to the Subaru Classifieds (Nebraska) page.  Not only are there more people using that, but it will simplify things here on the forum.

We could also use more exposure in the way of "HP-boosting stickers" and shirts and other items.  Not to quote Spaceballs a second time, but "Merchandising Merchandising Merchandising!  They put the name on everything!" and we could certainly do more of this.  We could use the existing logo seen on the home page of the NSOC or we could create a new one. Either way, having more publicity out there will help other owners know who we are and where to find us.

Events are finally starting to pick back up.  When I joined in 2012, there were a lot of people helping put on events.  From the Super Meet to the scenic route cruises, there were more people involved.  Over time, it kinda felt like I was the only one planning stuff... and when I got too busy to host meets every month, there really wasn't anyone else stepping up.  We do have a few new members who are starting to get more active and help out in that area, but that's also partly because I encouraged them to do so.  Weekly meets are still going, but we could use fresh faces and more inclusion to welcome newer members looking for the camaraderie this group can offer.

As with other efforts in the past, this can't be done by one person.  So if you have ideas or you can help get things rolling with this, the success of this group will live and die by the people that contribute to it.

Offline impostor

Re: Growing the NSOC
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
I feel like this has become our hidden little secret. Away from Facebook and everything that goes along with it.
'10 FXT, 95 Impreza turbo, 93 Legacy turbo wagon, 80 BRAT, 77 DL coupe FWD

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: Growing the NSOC
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
NSOC's best kept secret is on everyone's cars?  Nebraska-Subaru.com haha

I suppose the Forum is nice in that it tends to not have any drama or keyboard warrior battles on here, but I think that's mostly due to the fact that attention has turned away from here.