Author Topic: What should I do with my Legacy?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
What should I do with my Legacy?
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
I need your guys help on what to do with my Legacy. It has been a wonderful car for us. We bought it new in 2001 and it continues to be great. Recent large scale maintenance on the drive-train has made it even more rock solid and running as good as new. Big thanks to Russ' Garage for their work on it.

Over the years it has seen many modifications over the years all of which have further improved on what Subaru already put in place. All upgrades were done with purpose and for a reason. To maintain a fun, comfortable, stylish, and tight handling sedan for year round use. All upgrades were centered around tarmac use which it saw 95% of the time. It handles great and corners very well w/o being too harsh or standard roads.

I recently moved to our new place in rural Iowa. With the car being all sorted it out, it has become my daily driver again. As I spend more time on gravel and sub-par rural highways, I'm realizing that the current setup just isn't cutting it. I'm in the need of something more compliant so that it doesn't beat me up as much day to day. And with rural winters a thing of my near future, the need for additional ground clearance will be needed so I can continue to drive it daily and not need to take the truck.

So there lies my conundrum.
  • Do I make changes to my Legacy to make it more compliant
    • Kind of an SUS version of this car that never existed.
    • raise it up to stock height or slightly higher.
    • change out the wheels and tires for a more rally inspired look
    • perhaps add mud flaps
  • Or, do I say goodbye to a long time companion and start to look for a Subaru that out of the box is closer to my needs (i.e. Subaru Forester or similar).

That is where you all come in. I'd really like to hear your thoughts and advice on this matter. It is very possible to make it a cool all around vehicle, but a big part of me has a hard time considering un-doing what has been such a great package thus far. And to contradict that, letting go of a car we've owned since new isn't tought. Also consider that this vehicle (in whatever form it takes) will very likely be handed down to my son in 5 years as his primary transportation (if all goes well).

If you have some good examples of a BE sedan in off-road form, please feel free to post them. All reasonable advice welcomed.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
Re: What should I do with my Legacy?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:31:04 PM »
It is time to go back to your goals. You want comfortable, reliable transportation for gravel roads and rural winters. Is that all? Do you need hauling capabilities? Do you have a budget for an upgrade? How much of an enthusiast car does this need to be? Will you ever race it?

You have a reliable, paid for, AWD sedan. It sounds like that would be the perfect base for comfortable, reliable transportation on gravel roads and for rural winters. Slap a stock-### suspension back on it and call it good. That is probably the most budget friendly. Also, a 20 year old, well-maintained Subaru Legacy would be a perfect first car for a teen. Reliable, you know the entire history, safe, not fast. Perfect.

However, 5 years on gravel roads will do a number to that car. These will be the heardest years on the car that could be getting towards the end of its useful life. There is a possibility of killing it before you are able to hand over the keys to your son. This is such a nice car, and it would be a shame to destroy it daily driving on gravel.

Then again, it is a 15 year old car, and you will probably never be able to get the price that you think it is worth. You're in a tough spot. Is there any possibility of keeping it as a fun car and getting another daily driver?
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
You made changes to suit the car to the kind of driving you wanted before.  The Legacy is an incredibly versatile platform and could easily be modified again to suit your changing needs.  I'd keep it!

Offline Doomed

• admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
For what you want to use it for a Forester will be perfect. 
I like TALL Subarus.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
It is time to go back to your goals. You want comfortable, reliable transportation for gravel roads and rural winters. Is that all?

Yes

Do you need hauling capabilities?

No

Do you have a budget for an upgrade?

Sure

How much of an enthusiast car does this need to be?

Minimal

Will you ever race it?

Nope

5 years on gravel roads will do a number to that car. These will be the heardest years on the car that could be getting towards the end of its useful life. There is a possibility of killing it before you are able to hand over the keys to your son. This is such a nice car, and it would be a shame to destroy it daily driving on gravel.

The gravel part is only 4 miles total per day, and I can go what ever speed I desire. I understand that it may be end-of-life within that time as well.

Then again, it is a 15 year old car, and you will probably never be able to get the price that you think it is worth. You're in a tough spot. Is there any possibility of keeping it as a fun car and getting another daily driver?
I can't keep it as a fun car. If I were to be able to, I'd much rather have many other cars for 'fun' than this one.
I do have a '99 Saturn SL-1, but I am planning to sell in to get a used ATV or similar. It isn't much of a fun daily driver and I haven't driven it much at all since the Legacy has been back on the road.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
You made changes to suit the car to the kind of driving you wanted before.  The Legacy is an incredibly versatile platform and could easily be modified again to suit your changing needs.  I'd keep it!

-vs-

For what you want to use it for a Forester will be perfect. 

:D

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Not a BE, but I find this one pretty cool!

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
Would a set of 16" snows for the winter be sufficient to calm those roads during the harshest months or is the suspension too aggressive on its own?  It's tough to part with what has been a great vehicle and I'd personally think you'd come to regret it. I'd vote for keeping it and passing it on as a first car to your son.  Then get a forester.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:09 PM »
I'm really hard pressed to sort out the right direction... keeping it as-is would be my gut reaction, though.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
So then would your gut-reaction to keeping the same mean that you'd get rid of it?  Or be grounds to keep it?

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »
Keep as many as you can, within reason!  Determining what's reasonable is up to the individual or partnership.  ;)

My inclination would be to hang on to a car with this much time/energy/emotional investment for as long as possible.  Handing it off to the next generation of driver being a great culmination of all those things. 

If the road surfaces in the area where it would mostly be driven demand it, a wheel setup with a little more tire sidewall and stock suspension ought to be enough to sort it.  Would be a super easy swap back to hard surface setup again if doing just that much.

Offline impostor

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »
Keep it and buy an old obs or legacy wagon as a daily. I had less than $2k in my beat to #### 96 obs that I drove for ten years before it got destroyed by hail. It really comes down to you and how attached you are to the car.
'10 FXT, 95 Impreza turbo, 93 Legacy turbo wagon, 80 BRAT, 77 DL coupe FWD

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
I'll keep it as-is for now and see what the future brings. I'll likely commute in the winter with the Tribeca if the weather is horrible. Otherwise the legacy is on all-seasons so should be acceptable.

I also will likely have a chance at my mom's outback in a few more years as she'll likely move up to a new one again. So that may just work out to be a great daily when that option arrives hopefully.

Offline ZETA

• スバルダイスキ
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
You could go the route I did.  Find a dirt cheap Forester that you know needs work, and start putting it together.  Picked up my '99 for $1200 and replaced head gaskets/timing belt + related items, and it still needs a center diff and a decent set of tires but it drives, and can get anywhere I need it to go.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 07:35:18 AM »
not a horrible idea, but I don't have budget for another vehicle right now, nor time to work on one as I'm in the midst of building a house.

It would be much easier to re-purpose an already purchased vehicle at this point.