Author Topic: Strange Knock in Drivers Side Front  (Read 244 times)

Offline crdomaha

Strange Knock in Drivers Side Front
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »
I have owned my 2007 Outback for a little over a year now.  within the last month or so, there has been a pinging/knocking noise in the drivers side front when turning left.  It does not necessarily happen when fully turned, just when making left hand turns out of my driveway and parking lots.  The struts have been replaced, which needed to be done anyway, but the problem persists.  It seems to only happen if the car has been sitting for at least a few hours.  I believe that I have heard the front brake pad indicator starting to squeak slightly, but I am unsure if that is related.  I have also noticed from time to time that it sounds like something is scraping in the same area, but the sound goes away when the brakes are applied.  I have read that it could be the inner cover, but still am unsure.  These problems may all be related to the same issue, but I wanted to get other opinions before taking it in again.  Thanks in advance! 

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Strange Knock in Drivers Side Front
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
The intermittent scraping noise with braking can happen if rocks get caught between pad and rotor, but those usually dislodge themselves after some driving.

From your initial description I was leaning more towards a CV joint or wheel bearing.  The noise when turning speaks more to that issue. 
A torn CV boot would precede the joint going out (and explains it being noisy) and is something you could see pretty easily to confirm before taking it somewhere.