Author Topic: 2017 Rallycross Super Weekend  (Read 298 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
2017 Rallycross Super Weekend
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
Just finished up a great weekend of Rallycross with the NRSCCA.  I'd like to personally thank two great members of this forum for being a BIG help during the event: Aki and omahasubaru

These guys helped with instruction for the rallycross School held Saturday morning and continued to help throughout the Twilight Rallycross that night and Points event the next day.  From in-car novice instruction to aiding with course design, they put their talents to work and made the whole weekend better.  Thanks for your invaluable help!!

I've got a writeup on my blog for an overview of the weekend.  Really proud to see a strong showing of Subarus and good turnout overall for this event.  We even managed a good number of spectators throughout the day.  Some of them have contacted me since the weekend expressing an interest in rallycross, so our program continues to grow from the good things they're seeing.

I also managed to take a few shots from the weekend I thought I'd share here. 

Jovan made great progress through the whole weekend!  After the school, he put his newfound skills to work and really transformed as a driver attacking corners with more precision than ever.  It was great to see his improvements put to work during both competitions.

The youngest Rallycross competitor drove to his first Gold Medal during Sunday's points event.  He ousted his mentor (and uncle!) to drive a clean set of runs to secure the top spot in his class.  It's been great watching him improve so steadily and Sunday's result certainly shows that he's got great potential to be even better!

Timmy and Tyler had a great weekend in their Impreza wagon.  It's been fun watching them improve as they also improve and work on their car.  The FrankenSubie ran strong all weekend and they both had a great weekend. 

Aki's Legacy was an absolute BEAST.  I had the opportunity to go for two runs with him during the weekend and this thing is incredible!  I'm sure he'll find some adjustments or say something wasn't right but that car was a rocketship and I loved it! 

Joel's WRX was FINALLY ready for this event.  It was great to see it come to life and destroy the course like the angry monster it is.  I'm sure he was a little bummed to find his co-driver bested his results, but he's hooked so he'll improve.  Sounds like an issue I had when RallyFan555 co-drove with me a year or so ago!  Haha

car_baum (I'm blanking on her name at the moment) had a great first event with her lifted Bugeye!  It was great watching her enjoy the car and pick up time run after run.  Aki was kind enough to lend her some rally tires to get through the event on.  I think she's hooked now!

Sara has always been fun to work with at Rallycross events.  Her 6-Speed Forester has surprised me and, thanks to some added confidence from the school the day before, she was really picking up time during the Twilight Rally and the Points event.  It's great to see her skills improving as she pushes herself more.

Oh and I guess this Reverend guy had some coilover issues with his 2.5 RS Coupe so he sorta took his STI out for a spin.  Too much power and not enough grip (still had summer tires on) made things interesting but rumor has it he still had a blast driving it.

Then there's this guy.  I'll just leave this here.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
Re: 2017 Rallycross Super Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
That looks like you all had a blast. I spent the weekend replacing a wheel bearing in the Legacy and fishing with my four-year-old. One of these days he'll be old enough for me to bring to an event.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
Sounds like a fine weekend, itself, Andy; and my passenger seat is always open for when you make it out!

It was indeed a blast and weather was ideal (at long last) as well.  Great to see some new participants and several car builds culminating in this season.  It's going to be a fun year!  :subaru:

Offline Doomed

• admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:09:56 AM »
Jonny is the MAN!
I like TALL Subarus.