Author Topic: 2016 Impreza Exhaust: Lachute Crosstrek  (Read 300 times)

Offline themanofrod

• Novice
2016 Impreza Exhaust: Lachute Crosstrek
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
I like the look of this axle-back exhaust over the Nameless muffler delete:

Link to the exhaust

I can only find images of it on a Crosstrek

Reasons I like it: It sticks out under the bumper and it looks nice.

There is the Walker muffler delete; however, you have to cut your bumper and it dumps straight down. It does have the benefit of being cheap.

What I would like is a variation of the Lachute exhaust. I made a quick mockup of what I would like:

I was wondering if anyone knows a quality exhaust shop that could do something like this with out being overly expensive.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: 2016 Impreza Exhaust: Lachute Crosstrek
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
I fiddled around extensively with my Impreza's exhaust and the main issue I found with doing any upgrades to it was cabin drone.  This side-effect is magnified when you pair it with a CVT.  The Manual models don't seem to hold the revs at the least pleasant spot (since you obviously have control over that) whereas the CVT annihilates the cabin occupants if there's not a proper exhaust setup installed.

I had help from Russ' Garage in Omaha to install both of my exhaust setups.  The first one was a modified WRX Hatchback SPT Exhaust that, while it sounded epic from outside, was quite loud inside with a good amount of Drone.  After two months of that, I needed relief.

The second exhaust I did on my Impreza was mostly to retain the Dual Tip Exhaust look that I liked about the SPT one while tucking up underneath like an OEM one would.  I had to cut my bumper to get it to fit right, but I was very pleased with the overall result.  It wasn't any louder than a stock Impreza Exhaust but as a result there was no drone either.  The second exhaust is a mix between stock Impreza exhaust and stock BRZ exhaust.

Since it looks like you're going for a dual-tip look, I figured it'd be helpful to see both of the setups I had done.  Your Lachute exhaust example might not have a lot of drone issues since it looks to be a bolt-on from the axleback.  If it retains the factory resonator in the mid-pipe section, that should help filter most of the drone issues I had with the full catback SPT system.  Either way, Jim and Russ at RG are great to work with.

Offline themanofrod

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »
Your examples are pretty nice.

One of the reasons I like the Lachute example is that the exhaust exits past the bumper and not underneath.

I might have to contact Jim and Russ at RG and see what they can do.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:27:00 AM »
If you go with the Crosstrek -under the bumper exhaust-, your tips may drag on roads like Hefflinger Park or areas like Reverend's driveway or my driveway. It's not a big deal on the lifted crosstrek, but on a lower Impreza that tuck into the bumper is important.

Offline themanofrod

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »
Arani,

That is true, my drive way does have a incline. (I scrape the front end if I reverse in).

I'm still up in the air what I want done exactly.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
You could do a custom exhaust that comes out of the lower reflectors in your bumper!  Haha that'd be sweeeeeet

Offline themanofrod

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
Lower reflect exhaust would be best amusing.

Does anyone know of a place in Lincoln that does nice exhaust work?

I'm thinking of doing the cut in the bumper like Reverend's;however, single tips instead of dual tips.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »
Single tips would look nice!  I was trying to decide between the two when I did mine.  The cutout for a single tip on either side would be easier to copy since it'd likely just be a round shape instead of a weird rectangular angle like mine were. 

I don't know of any exhaust shops in Lincoln, though.  Aki might.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:28:16 PM »
PRO Muffler Service
3171 N 41st St, Lincoln, NE 68504
(402) 474-6833

Had them do a stock replacement axle-back on an old Honda of mine, and they also sold me some raw material when I made my delete pipe for the SS.  Very good to work with, small local business.  I imagine they could handle what you're looking to do.  RG would certainly be able to handle it if you strike out in Lincoln.