Author Topic: Process of getting a first tune on BRZ  (Read 188 times)

Offline redbrz51

Process of getting a first tune on BRZ
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:24:22 AM »
Hello group.  Hopefully someone will read and answer this.  I have a 2017 BRZ and am thinking about getting a stage 1 tune done. But, what is the best method to go about this? Anyone have good luck with the OFT tuners or with Ecutek tunes.  I've read that getting the ecutek tune, the owner is locked out from doing any upgrades or changes to it, but does the OFT have tunes out there for the 2017 model?? And then I have read that you need to tune your car after updating the header to a UEL header. So, should I just wait to make all the mods first and then do the tune?? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Sundawg

• Picture Gallery
Re: Process of getting a first tune on BRZ
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »
For Stage 1, the OFT would give you access to off-the-shelf maps, so you can download what you need at any time.  If you get rid of the cat in the header, you will need a tune to get rid of the check engine light, and of course, you will get a bigger gain with a tune than without.

The big reason to go with ECUTEK is that it is a much more capable platform.  That's what I'm using on my turbocharged BRZ, and it's the only option if you want to go Flex Fuel.  Since E85 is more common than 93 in Nebraska, that's something to think about.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on getting the car Pro tuned.  If you are, see what your tuner is familiar with.
2013 SWP BRZ
2011 Outback 3.6R