Author Topic: Focus RS vs WRX STI  (Read 186 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Focus RS vs WRX STI
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
I've been mulling it over ever since word of the Ford Focus RS first hit, so I thought I'd finally put everything I have heard, seen, and experienced into an article.  I may be off, but I'm confident that these two cars trade punches well enough that there's really no clear answer as to which car as a whole is best.

Ford Focus RS vs Subaru WRX STI

Give it a read and let me know what you think.  I'm curious to know what you guys think about how the new Ken on the Block fares against the dinosaur we love here.

Offline Doomed

• admin
  • Elite Member
Re: Focus RS vs WRX STI
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
Good read my man, thanks for posting.  My opinion is I like the STi but I can tell you the Ford is REALLY cool.  Would need to drive both... for a while.  ;) 
I like TALL Subarus.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
I'm very curious to see how that RS driveline feels, they do some tricky stuff to make it work...

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
I had an opinion before reading but that article left me undecided. I was leaning toward Ford RS.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
I like the Focus RS mostly for it's guts.  Not just the mechanical EcoBoosted fun that makes up the innards of the car, but the guts Ford put into making something this competitive and making it so widely available (first RS released in the US!).  It's AWD system may not be as trusty as the Subarus, but the engine is an absolute monster.  I also like the fact that they engineered most of the Torque Steer out of the car that previous RS models had suffered from.  It's a clever car.

I don't like the Focus it's built around, though.  The Third Generation Ford Focus is a cramped place to be and there are awful blind spots.  To counteract this, Ford put some curved mirrors in the side mirrors to help, but even forward visibility is compromised with the A Pillars.  It's heavier than the STI, has worse crash safety ratings than the STI, and ride quality around town in it's softest settings is still harsher than the STI.  If you could put the innards of a Focus RS in a better chassis, I'd say there'd be a clearer win in my books.  The RS has the edge in performance (as it should), but the STI is the better all-rounder.