Author Topic: What class am I in? (RallyCross edition)  (Read 2850 times)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
What class am I in? (RallyCross edition)
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »
If you want help classing your car, this is the place.

Option 1. Download the SCCA rule book from scca.com now and find out what class your car falls under. RallyCross Rulebook

Option 2. List out your entire list of mods that you have done to your car and have one of the more experienced members reply back in this thread and help you correctly classify your car. Remeber ANYTHING that didn't come in your car from the factory is considered a mod. Eg: Clutches, SS brakelines, intake, tranny swap, head porting, engine internals, batteries, short shifter, bodykits, non factory LSDs, springs, shocks, ECU reflash, engine management, even tire width and aftermarket antennas will put you in a different class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About RallyCross

As the SCCA defines it source: scca.com

What is RallyCross?
RallyCross is the most widespread and readily accessible form of extreme dirt motorsport in the Sports Car Club of America, and the perfect place to see if you have what it takes to powerslide your way to victory. Imagine a scaled down version of a rally stage laid out on a non-paved plot of land where the course is delineated by traffic cones instead of trees or rocks. The entry fees and equipment requirements are considerably less than those necessary to enter any other forms of performance rally, so in most locations one need only arrive at event registration with a sound, hardtop vehicle and the entry fee. Many SCCA Regions have helmets to loan and will assist the first time competitor with entering the appropriate class, making their way through technical inspection and finding their way around the course. Best of all, it's great fun!

Rally, on A Budget
RallyCross is the most cost effective way to gauge a driver's interest and aptitude for "doing it in the dirt." RallyCross classes are tailored for local entrants but usually categorize cars according to number of driven wheels, engine capability and the style of tires mounted. Unlike Solo, a similar competition staged on paved surfaces, where an entrant's ranking is based on the single fastest run, RallyCross competitions are usually judged on the total of multiple runs.

Be sure to find a RallyCross near you and try your hand at the most exciting entry-level autosport on the planet!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great Promotional video done by a member of CORX.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:33:34 PM by omahasubaru »

Offline corx

Re: What is RallyCross (SCCA)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:30:12 AM »
rallycross is the greatest. the nrscca even provides lunch!

that promo was awsome. at 4:26 in the video is my good friends rally impreza. I love the tracks in colorado so much. more dirt, less grass and mud  :P

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:37:01 AM by corx »
-chris van middelkoop-
10 nbp gh6 Impreza
67 Dark Blue Street Beetle
"your impreza is evolving!...
congratulations, your impreza just evolved into an old worn out sti!"

Offline chriso

Re: What class am I in? (RallyCross edition)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Derp. I read the instructions at the top, then promptly felt like I was disturbing a pristine, tidy thread with my drivel.

Copy pasted from the recent rallycross thread...

After reading through the Rule Book regarding classification, I'm wondering about my car. I've done primarily OEM-style replacements... mostly just maintenance work. KYB Excel-G's (OE class), a stock-equivalent clutch replacement (the clutch disc is an F1Racing Stage 2 but the new flywheel that came with it is standard weight, not lightened at all...)......

But I did put a Torque Solutions short throw shifter in it.

Would I have to either swap my OE Shift Lever back in in order to run as a SA class, or else run in the MA class solely due to my shifter?
==Chriso==
1997 Impreza L 4dr

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
Clutch and shifter are not legal for stock.

Any engine, intake or exhaust modifications? Full interior w/ sound deadening/carpet?

Offline chriso

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
No mods to the engine, no custom intake, just a Fram filter, and no removal of carpeting, etc. It's pretty much bone stock L Sedan aside from the replacements/maintenance that I've just finished with.

I interpreted the rule book to read that any replacement clutch disc & pressure plate are permissible as long as the flywheel is stock spec, did I read that bit wrong?

I guess I will keep my stock shifter on-hand for now. :D
==Chriso==
1997 Impreza L 4dr

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »
Wow... I don't recall the clutch rule being written that way. So looks like your clutch is OK for stock. Your shifter will put you in Rally Prepared. I wouldn't sweat the class for your first event. Just come out and run for the experience.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »
Yeah, or come play with us in M4, even.

Never know man, anything can happen!  8)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »
FYI, chriso... reading your recent build thread update, you have upgraded engine/transmission mounts. Those would also take you out of stock. You have to consider ALL modifications from stock, even if they seem minor.

Offline chriso

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »
Herp, oh yeah. Thanks for pointing that out, I keep forgetting those were in there, maybe it's because the installation on the engine mounts scared the whiz outta me. Prepared class or M4 it is. :D
==Chriso==
1997 Impreza L 4dr

Offline diesyl krysl

• Novice
  • Full Xposure
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »
Im thinking of running the beater in rally this year. Just curious what class I would fall under.
03 Cavalier with aftermarket sound upgrades and a K&N replacement air filter. Nothing performance, interior, body work, rims or tires changed on this car though.

I would still be considered stock correct?
Subies Save Lives!

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
Should be, yeah.  Air filter can be whatever, so long as it fits in the stock location (no different intake or air box).

from page 25:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012_RallyCross_Rules.pdf

Offline diesyl krysl

• Novice
  • Full Xposure
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »
Sweet!!! cant wait to come play in the dirt :D
Subies Save Lives!

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
Glad that more people are giving it a try!

Offline diesyl krysl

• Novice
  • Full Xposure
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
im pretty sure you will be seeing quite a grin on me after my first run ;)
Subies Save Lives!