Author Topic: 2018 "Big Meet" Planning  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
2018 "Big Meet" Planning
« on: January 05, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »

For the last 5 years we've hosted dozens of meets per year, but there's always three bigger ones that mark each season.  Spring, Summer, and Fall each have their own big event for the Nebraska Subaru Owners Club.  In recent years, the Summer meet has been put on by Baxter Subaru for "Boxers @ Baxter" and I'm looking to continue that.

I've been thinking of switching the Boxers @ Baxter event for something later in the year.  2 of the last 3 years this event was held, the brutal summer heat put a damper on turnout.  I was thinking of moving this event to September and potentially expanding our calendar of events in general.  That means a Spring Fling, Summer Meet, Boxers @ Baxter, and the Fall Meet.  There's a bunch of ideas that go along with this that I had that I wanted to share with you guys and get some feedback on it to see what you think.

Proposed "Big Meet" Schedule

May: "Spring Fling" - Scenic Cruise and Cookout  Complete
July: "Summer Fun" - Cookout at Mahoney State Park w/Waterpark access Planning Now
September: "Boxers @ Baxter" - SRT USA Trailer Display, Weekend of Subie stuff Planning Now
Late October / early November: Fall Meet - Scenic Cruise and Car Show
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:51:06 PM by Reverend »

Offline Justastockoutback

Re: 2018 "Big Meet" Planning
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
Definitely move the Boxer event to cooler weather.  Also, seemed alot of people left this year waiting for food.  So maybe go back to the 2 hour format.

Offline LBP WRX

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
I have trouble making it to a lot of meets but always plan on going to at least the Boxers @ Baxter, cooler weather would be much appreciated. Just one thought though.... if you move it into September try and keep in mind Husker/Hawkeye football could have an impact on turnout.
16 LBP WRX Base
F.B.O except headers.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »
Glad you mentioned that.  I imagine Husker Nation is gonna be attentive this year given the coaching change!

And that bit kinda puts a damper on nearly every weekend.  I was hoping to do another double-header weekend with the Show on Saturday and either Rallycross or Autocross the following Sunday.  What if we did Boxers @ Baxter earlier in the summer?  Late May or June?

Offline LBP WRX

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »
May and June is graduation and wedding season, i think fall works just have to plan either an evening/morning event. Maybe not worry about football and plan on airing the game somehow.
16 LBP WRX Base
F.B.O except headers.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 06:23:24 PM »
So the Spring Fling was great this year!  Had some issues with the cruise route, but we sorted it out and I'll have a better game plan for the next one.  Speaking of that...

SUMMER MEET PLANNING

I've been talking with some members at Weekly Meets and during the Spring Fling and most people seem open to the idea of doing it at a park like Mahoney with Pool Access.  However, I do miss Ponca State Park quite a bit.  The twisty turns of it's roads are simply sublime to cruise through and they just added a pool to the park a year or two ago.  Colin had planned the "Midwest Meet" back in 2014 up there and there was a pretty strong showing for that.  Only trouble with Ponca State Park is that it's about a 2 hour drive from Omaha and even further for people from Lincoln and other parts of the state.  Trying to gauge interest in doing something like that again or if we should keep it closer at Mahoney so people from other parts of Nebraska don't have to travel so far.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on this idea so we can get things in line soon!