Author Topic: GrimmSpeed Air/Oil Separator - Product Release  (Read 5231 times)

Offline GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Air/Oil Separator - Product Release
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »
You want an AOS that breathes both the Heads and Crankcase? Check.
You want a compact AOS that will work on all models? Check.
You wan a AOS that is not overpriced? Check.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=191

PRICE: $299.99

An Air/Oil Separator has one job, remove the oil from the engine ventilation system so the oil does not get sent through the intake system.

The GrimmSpeed AOS is unique as it allows you to maintain your PCV Valve while separating the oil out of the crankcase and head ventilation air! Our AOS will allow your engine to run more efficiently due to the separation of oil from the intake system. When there is oil in your system, the result is 1) reduced fuel octane 2) higher chance of engine knock(detonation) 3) worse emissions 4) higher oil consumption. Our AOS will solve all of these problems.

In GrimmSpeed fashion, we have made a very compact unit that packs a powerful punch(and looks good while doing it)!

No more having to check/empty your catch can and refilling your oil. The GrimmSpeed AOS coalesces oil without using a mesh media.  Mesh medias can cause contaminates to collect and build up resulting in possible sludge.  Our AOS is self maintained so you can just sit back, stop worrying, and enjoy driving your car!

[SIZE="4"]Replaces oil cap for a self-sufficient design that requires ZERO maintenance![/SIZE]

Installed pics...

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=191

Justin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:36:43 PM by GrimmSpeed »

Offline GrimmSpeed

Re: GrimmSpeed Air/Oil Separator - Product Release
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »
I know this is for the nasioc group buy, but since it is to help out the Haiti victims I wanted to cross post it.

SPECIAL NOTE: GROUP BUY WILL BE CAPPED AT 200 - Spot 200 will go to Haiti Relief

This is how we are going to handle the last spot.....

Spot #200 will be a auction style spot, 100% of the final sale price will go to the American Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916975

Offline GrimmSpeed

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »
here is a picture that one of our customers sent us(i added the text). he used all clear lines because he wanted to keep an eye on it to make sure it was working as we claimed.

a large part as to why it is so efficient at separating the oil out of the air is because of our internal core design. we spent over a year refining the core design. this is why we are able to have a very compact system, yet still is a very effective separator.

Justin

Offline Chris H.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »
Do you have to disconnect the lines to unscrew the separator off the filler neck?

Offline GrimmSpeed

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:46 PM »
no, you just unscrew the center section and then pour oil in. you can rotate the AOS so its not over the fill tube as well. i just did it this way because i dont have an a/c compressor.

Justin

Offline Chris H.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
Oh sweet, its on my wish list.

Offline GrimmSpeed

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:20:42 PM by GrimmSpeed »

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
This made my list of future mods.

Offline GrimmSpeed

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »
awesome, just got a big production run completed today so we have some ready to ship!

Justin

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »
I very much want to get this but am concerned about it fitting my Legacy spec.B with the RacerX FMIC. Is the AOS larger than the factory oil cap? The FMIC cold pipe rests on the factory oil cap.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
Nevermind, just was the FAQ on your site. I'll be ordering one of these soon.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »
I finally got this installed yesterday. The vendor had initially sent me the 02-07WRX/STi fitment instead of the 08+WRX/LGT one I needed. The combination of paper and YouTube instructions was excellent. It would have been a breeze to install had I been stock, but because I'm running the RacerX FMIC and Perrin inlet, I had to get a little creative with the plumbing.

Figure 1 Half-way through the install double-checking the instructions. I did the PCV line first because that one caused the most headaches after the Perrin inlet install. The T off the crankcase breather points directly under the intake manifold, and I couln't get it to point up like the instructions called for. I also had a heck of a time getting the 5/8" line on the T. I had to use a heat gun to get it nice and hot and then stretched it by shoving in a pair of pliers. Long-story-short, I ran the PCV line under and around the front of the IM. I learned later that this actually was the only way I could have run it due to the orientation of the AOS forced by the FacerX FMIC.

Figure 2 My solution for the passenger side breather. The instructions have you run a 5/8" to 1/2" connector on the head breather line and then run 1/2" line to the T on the driver's side breather line. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the 5/8 to 1/2 connector on the breather line. The line appeared to be smaller than that so I pulled it off and ran the 1/2" line directly to the breather for a perfect fit.

Figure 3 A look at how I routed the lines off the AOS. The left is the PCV line, the middle is the inlet line, and the right goes to the T where the head breathers are joined. I don't like how I had to route the head breathers line through the fuel lines, but I will re-route the fuel lines some time this summer. For the inlet line, the instructions have you use the factory Y pipe that goes to the factory inlet. I had problems during the Perrin inlet install and the Y never fit right after that, so I was looking for a reason to remove it. The AOS install gave me that reason. Instead of running the line into the Y, I ran it through the hard fuel lines, under the FMIC pipe, and then, and the back of the IM, joined the 1/2" line to a smaller line from the inlet that I ran under the IM.

Figure 4 Finished look.

I'll be happy to answer questions for anyone else with an 08+WRX or LGT looking to run the GrimmSpeed AOS with a RacerX Front Mount Intercooler and a Perrin turbo inlet.

This is the thread showing how I plan to re-route the fuel lines.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lalgt-rebuild-thread-152682?p=3237724#post3237724

Offline GrimmSpeed

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
Wow what a great install! Thanks so much for this, looks great!

Will

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
Thanks. You guys offer excellent products. Be sure to post up on here when you get the summer open house worked out. It would be fun to organize a cruise from Omaha up there to check out the shop, make some new friends, and maybe catch a Twins game.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Another picture showing a slightly cleaner install

Offline GrimmSpeed

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
Very clean...looking good!