Author Topic: All Seasons and Snow/Ice tires  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
All Seasons and Snow/Ice tires
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »
So, I am riding on All Seasons again due to my Snow tires being on the wifes OBS.  I am also lacking my swaybars at the moment.  I have noticed a huge difference.  My car is what I would call a bit sloshy in the snow.  Slush and wet traction is good, but snow traction is lacking.  There is no way that I would be able to get through the snow that I could with the snows.  Ive tried 3 different A/S tires now and I for one am now a true believer in snow tires.  Just thought I would open a thread to discuss this difference.   -_-

Offline rick schumacher

• Elite Member
  • white knuckles
    • Russ' Garage
Re: All Seasons and Snow/Ice tires
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »
ive never had snow tires
ive never had any problems with all seasons

the ones i do have, look alot like a snow tread, with all the little cuts in the fat treads
they do horrible on dry pavement though

BUT
last night, dmk took me for a ride in his sti
he has snowtires, and holy cow!  for what i like to do, i love my slippy all seasons, but you have to remember, im on a N/A, so i dont want the grip

i guess its all what you want out of it

i may actually purchase some snows next year, but thats too far away

thats my 2cents

Offline dmk

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »
I love my snows. Tank through anything. Only reason I've EVER gotten stuck is because I got high centered, and even then most of the time i'm still able to wiggle my way out before resorting to a shovel.

I had AS's the first winter I had the car. the level of grip, stopping power and acceleration grip doesnt compare to a performance snow tire.

06' wrb sti
-dennis

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
^Truth. I had snow tires last winter and they don't compare to the stock Potenzas on my TR wheels.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
Not every all season are crappy in the snow, I just havent had superior grip like snows.  If you are looking for some sideways driving action you wont typically get that from snows.  So, I think that it really is up to what you like or dont like.  I dont remember what kind, but I had some Goodyears in the past that were solid.  They weren't the greatest in the rain though.  Good in dry.  I am going to wait until next year to get new snows for the WRX,  I will probably get all seasons for the rest of the year.  What are some good A/S that work well in spring and summer?  Ie rain/hot.

Offline dmk

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »
I personally like to stick to dedicated weather tires rather than trying to hit all the areas, Max snow/ice (and mud?) performance and then max summer/dry performance that can also handle wet.

I have no problem getting sideways with my snows on..

06' wrb sti
-dennis

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »
 -_-

Offline rick schumacher

• Elite Member
  • white knuckles
    • Russ' Garage
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
he really doesnt have any problems getting sideways, but that extra boost juice helps alot!

the best allaround a/s ive ever had were (not sure which one) bridgestones or firestone *affinity's

they did the best in dry,wet,sand, and pretty decent in snow
im on some generic ones that have a snow/mud style tread, and they seem to do ok in stuff like mud, sand, and snow, but too slick on dry, terrible on wet*hydroplain

Offline Daishi

• Toooooo Low
    • Nebraska Street Scene
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
My Dunlop's are "all seasons" but are the best snow tires I've ever owned.

Offline HawkWagon

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:54 AM »
Based on recent conversations with my mechanic and three different tire dealers, it seems that the question of all-season tires vs. dedicated winter tires comes down to: How do you use the car?

My Outback, as I've mentioned previously, is both my daily driver and my hunting rig. (I hunt six or seven months a year, and so spend a lot of time on gravel roads.) Plus I drive to the East Coast once or twice a year. So that's a lot of miles, on different surfaces, in all weather conditions. With all that factored in, my mechanic and two out of three tire dealers recommended...the Bridgestone Potenzas that came with the car!

The biggest factor mitigating against dedicated winter tires is the extensive gravel-road driving: Because snow tires are made with a soft, sticky compound, they are quickly torn up by gravel. Add in the fact that Nebraska winters are unpredictable--we might have snow for months, but more often it's intermittent, with roads clear for good periods of time between storms--and snow tires lose a lot of their appeal. If I lived in northern Minnesota, or never ventured off-pavement, it'd be different, but for my purposes and local conditions, the Potenzas are apparently the best match.

Evidently I am the target demographic for the Outback (I always suspected as much) :mellow:, and Subaru put some thought into tire selection: off-road/soft-road capable, with the ability to handle snow and ice, but also offering good handling on dry roads for those of us who like to push the car a bit. (V-rated, if I remember correctly.) And according to the tire dealers I spoke with (remember, these are guys who were passing up the opportunity for an immediate sale!), it is no longer a given that OEM tires are cheap disposables. Think about it: For any sort of performance or niche vehicle, the manufacturer wants the buyer to have a good driving experience. If the tires detract from that, the buyer might correctly identify the source of the problem and replace the OEM tires--or might blame the car! And with the Internet providing an open forum for any unhappy customer, it's in the manufacturer's best interest to safeguard their reputation by investing in good tires. My Outback's Potenzas, I learned, are actually quite expensive...so when it does come time to buy new ones, I need to remember that they're an investment, not just an expense.

Anyway, I hope this perspective might be useful for anyone still unsure about their choice in rubber. If the bulk of your driving is on highways and city streets, snow tires are probably a good investment. But it's not a one-size-fits-all proposition.

Offline HawkWagon

new rubber
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
I'm revisiting this thread because I'm not afraid to say...I was wrong. At least for me.

After a couple of near-misadventures on ice (not too long after my previous post) and on wet roads, I decided to ditch the OE Bridgstone Potenzas RE92As. Had my eye on a set of Pirelli PZero Nero All-Seasons, but they were on backorder forever, and I eventually happened on the Yokohama AVID ENVigors: lower price, even better ratings, and in stock. They're not even broken-in yet, but already I feel more attached to the road. Tire Rack customers have rated them the number-one high-performance all-season tire, classified as superior in every category except winter/snow, where they're "merely" excellent.

When the snow flies, though, I'll be on Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II snow tires and 16" WRX rims. (Thanks, Jon!)

So I stand by my assertion that all-seasons might be the right choice for some. But good all-seasons, and I've found that the Potenzas come up short. And I've decided that, for as much winter driving as I do, dedicated winter wheels and tires are worth the trouble and expense after all.

Tire Rack FTW!

Reference material for anyone who wants to check out the tires mentioned...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE92A ("Your Bridgestone tires...or your liiife!" Yeah, that was starting to look like a realistic choice. I gave up the Bridgestones.)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+All+Season (Good. Very good.)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H%26V%29 (Even better.)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+210+Sottozero+Serie+II (Power is nothing without control.)

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
I never had snow tires. Last year I had about no tread I made it fine but I just got new potenzas

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
THis year Im going with 17" Blizzaks.  Im going to have the 16's for sale in a month or two.  They are just collecting dust in the ole garage!!!

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
Same I will be getting 17" blizzaks.
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
I run 18" Sumitomo HTRZIII summers and 18" Blizzaks in the winter. Dedicated season tires are the best investment you can make in the performance of your car. I love both my summer and winter grip. I ran all seasons until 2007, and now will never go back. I never got stuck being my own snow plow last winter and the Sumitomos have made twisties these past two summers a blast. For the safety (and fun) aspect, I'll never go back to no-seasons again.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
Oh, and for anyone looking to get snows, check out tirerack's winter wheel and tire combos. It is very nice to be able to swap out your own wheels when the snow flies instead of paying to have the tires swapped.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline bellevue_xt

• A STI will call my name someday
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:48 PM »
Looks like it may be another snowy winter. I had the Kuhmo Solus KR21 all-seasons on my 96 lgt they worked great in the snow for a all-season.  Going with the yokohama avid envigor for the OBXT this fall, looks like they are a decent all season also.
92 Loyale wagon 5mt (sold)
96 LGT wagon (sold)
06 OBXT LTD 5mt (sold)
13 Chevy Volt

Offline xI Light Ix

• Elite Member
  • Dustin
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 01:13:34 AM »
THis year Im going with 17" Blizzaks.  Im going to have the 16's for sale in a month or two.  They are just collecting dust in the ole garage!!!

16? Sell em to me!

Cleared lights, DLR delete, K&N Typhoon, 20% tint, Greddy Evo 2 Cb,
Invidia V2 Dp, Perring Up, , Stage 2 WRXNFX Tune

Offline Craigs92X

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
I bought a set of Nitto SN2 snow tires last season and they were INSANE in the snow. I will never run all-seasons again in snow.

2012 Outback Limited is AWDSOME.......
2005 Stage 2 Saabaru 9-2X  SOLD

Offline ckollars

• Christopher Kollars
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »
Has anyone had experience or heard good things about Continental ExtremeContact DWS?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=055WR6ECDWS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Impreza%20WRX%20Sedan&autoModClar=

I'm looking for A/S tires and can't decide on a tire. I want to spend no more then 100 a tire.

Offline bellevue_xt

• A STI will call my name someday
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
Put a set of the yoko geolanders at-s on so far they ride nice not very noisy lost about 1 mpg
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:18:29 AM by bellevue_xt »
92 Loyale wagon 5mt (sold)
96 LGT wagon (sold)
06 OBXT LTD 5mt (sold)
13 Chevy Volt