Author Topic: Interior...just thinking  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Sean C

Interior...just thinking
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
So, I was checking out the new STi and what I like about it most, is it's sick interior! I know it doesn't make much sense, but how difficult would it be to do an interior swap? I'm sure it would cost a boat-load and I might consider doing this in like 10 years, but it would make my car, in my opinion, one of the sickest cars ever! Just thinking...

P.S. I love my interior...the new one is just so new
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:30:10 PM by Sean C »
2004 PSM STi
Invidia V3 Divorced Wastegate DP
Gimmick Motorsports 3" Catback
WRXNFX Flash
Cobb Intake
BC Racing Coilovers

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
Re: Interior...just thinking
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
Probably cost quite a bit and take some fabrication.  The 08+ interior is nice though 8)

Offline SinisterSti

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
Probably cost quite a bit and take some fabrication.  The 08+ interior is nice though 8)

Nice only if you don't drive the car enough to wear the silver paint off of the radio controls and driver side window controls...... oh and a hole SUBARU ALL WEATHER MAT in the fist 13 months of ownership.......
"SPEED NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THATS WHAT GETS YOU"

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should
be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself"

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:45 AM »

Nice only if you don't drive the car enough to wear the silver paint off of the radio controls and driver side window controls...... oh and a hole SUBARU ALL WEATHER MAT in the fist 13 months of ownership.......

The all weather corigated looking ones, yeah you heal digs through that stuff fast, still look cool, but the function is gone..

And the silver paint on the plastic wore threw on my car too..  Plasti Dip..  :)
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline whitewgn02

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
I haven't had my all weather mats in mine for awhile now.  They have just been sitting in the garage.  I picked them up to move them a couple of weeks ago and noticed they have just fallen apart.  They split all along the ridges.  I didn't know they were biodegradable !!!  I think they'll just disappear in a few months.

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:06:19 AM »
I haven't had my all weather mats in mine for awhile now.  They have just been sitting in the garage.  I picked them up to move them a couple of weeks ago and noticed they have just fallen apart.  They split all along the ridges.  I didn't know they were biodegradable !!!  I think they'll just disappear in a few months.

Three of mine are like new in the basement, and I cut the rubber "SUBARU" otu of the drivers one, so I have a big bag of worthless rubber..  :(
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline whitewgn02

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »
I guees I had had mine for quite awhile and they just sit in the garage most of the time.  They would still keep mud of the floor but not water.

Back to the original post.  I bet it would be sweet to do a complete interior swap but I think it would probably take so much effort you might question whether it was worth it in the end.  I think it would be cool to see it done though.

Offline Sean C

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=767&Year=2004

Best all-weather mats EVER!! I forgot to take mine out for summer and use my STi mats, but these keep so much dirt, grass, gravel, and random crap out of my carpet. I also think they look pretty nice in black.

This reminds me of my sister's eclipse when she had it.  It looked like #### when we sold it.  Her cobalt has the same problem. Doesn't help that she says "Look how easy all the paint comes off!" as she scratches a line of paint off her door panel....
2004 PSM STi
Invidia V3 Divorced Wastegate DP
Gimmick Motorsports 3" Catback
WRXNFX Flash
Cobb Intake
BC Racing Coilovers

Offline SinisterSti

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »
I bought all weather mats for my VW R32 in 05 when I bought the car and for 4 yrs no holes, hardly even a dent, my STi 13 months thats it so; I took them to Line X and for about 6 months now they are still holding up. Its my opintion that a Subaru interior is ment to pulled out and junked, a gage installed and the car beat into the ground.... Sadly I think this is my first and last Subaru.... I don't feel that I should have to spray paint my interior when the car is only 2 yrs old THATS BS.

Offline omahawrx

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:33 AM »
I bought all weather mats for my VW R32 in 05 when I bought the car and for 4 yrs no holes, hardly even a dent, my STi 13 months thats it so; I took them to Line X and for about 6 months now they are still holding up. Its my opintion that a Subaru interior is ment to pulled out and junked, a gage installed and the car beat into the ground.... Sadly I think this is my first and last Subaru.... I don't feel that I should have to spray paint my interior when the car is only 2 yrs old THATS BS.

I agree, I've owned a few 04's & the exterior paint and interior paint/carpet on this one aren't even close.  I have more scratches on the outside of this car than I had on my blue 04 in the 4 years I owned it.  Might have to move on myself after this one.

D

Offline whitewgn02

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
Is it just the interior/exterior on the later models?  the interior on my '02 looks pretty good.  My wife drives an '01 Jetta and her interior is literally falling apart.  Nothing has worn well at all and it has VERY low miles.  I know the imprezas weren't know for their interior quality but mine has held up really well.

Offline omahawrx

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
I think 08, 09, 10 is where the problem is.  I had 3 04's and the interior and exterior was great on all of them

Offline SinisterSti

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »

I agree, I've owned a few 04's & the exterior paint and interior paint/carpet on this one aren't even close.  I have more scratches on the outside of this car than I had on my blue 04 in the 4 years I owned it.  Might have to move on myself after this one.

D

The problem with paint is its now a water bore paint vs a solvent based paint system. I have found myself needed to polish the car almost once a month. The good news with water born paints the clear is softer so it polishes right up.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
I also agree.  The paint got worse with the later years....As far as the interior goes, I am starting to see wear on the knobs and the drivers handle and my car only has 15k miles on it.

Offline suprjohn

• in the words of socrates, "i drank what??"
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »
my '89 DL with 258K miles on the clock still has a surprisingly good interior and the body has very little rust.

is there a source for interior parts for the older subs?

john
"beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin