Author Topic: Factory Warranty  (Read 796 times)

Offline jkyoachim

Factory Warranty
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:59:53 AM »
What does everyone know about the factory warranty from Subaru? My 09 WRX is only the second car I've owned new and I'm terrified of voiding the warranty. To the point that I've been taking it to the dealership for maintenance and oil changes and I haven't modded anything. Anyone have some insight for me? It sounds like I can do my own oil changes and maintenance if I keep good records. As far as mods go, I'm guessing there's nothing I can do without voiding the warranty?

Offline Starch

Re: Factory Warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »
You're right on with being able to do the maintenance yourself as long as you keep the records. As far as modding goes, it seems like it's really been up to the dealer to determine if the modification caused the failure of whatever part that you are bringing the car in for, however some dealers are more "mod" friendly than others and are willing to look the other way.

That being said one modification cannot void your entire warranty, say you decide to install some gauges yourself, then the transmission blows up. Subaru is not going to be able to blame a transmission failure on the installation of aftermarket gauges. They could however deny any repairs on your electrical system if you cut and spliced any wires.

Finally you are safe to add any parts licenesed by "SPT" these parts are made by Subaru for our cars and as long as the spt part is not labeled "for off road use only" Subaru won't deny a warranty claim if you have added an spt part to your car.

I'm hoping this all made sense as I'm typing it on an iPod and proofreading is difficult haha.
"Why do you hate what you don't understand?"